Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Revisiting Injurygate
Notices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
Letsroll Letsroll is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 850
Join Date: Feb 2010
Revisiting Injurygate - 11-05-2012, 06:09 AM

A loyal Cal fan and friend still believes that in the 2010 Oregon-Cal game, Tedford knew about and agreed with the faking of injuries.

He believes that Tedford and our AD made Tosh take the fall (no pun intended).

If he is right, why do posters on this board still consider Tedford to be a man of integrity? Why are guys like Pete Carroll and Petrino villified on this board but Tedford stays on sacred high ground (at least when it comes to character).

I didn't know that dishonesty came with degrees of transgression.

I think Sandy could have canned him right there.
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
Cal Geek Cal Geek is online now
Real Bear
 
Cal Geek's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,560
Join Date: Feb 2012
Evidence? - 11-05-2012, 06:17 AM

Any evidence that what your friend believes is true?

Or are we just expected to go on what your friend believes?
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
Cal88 Cal88 is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Cal88's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,627
Join Date: Jul 2008
11-05-2012, 06:24 AM

Of course JT knew, but who cares, "injurygate" was trivial bit of gamesmanship, not some kind of scandal that really warrants having its own name as some made it to be. If it weren't for Oregon's PR machine nothing would have come out of this. Technically though it's outside of JT's gameday duties, it's the DC's responsibility to monitor his defense's actions.

Regardless, this does not absolve Lupoi one bit from the despicable way he handled his departure to UW, if that's where you're going with this thread. Not one bit, that bridge was thoroughly calcinated.
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
manus manus is offline
Real Bear
 
manus's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,261
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Near the Lassen Trail
11-05-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsroll View Post

...I think Sandy could have canned him right there.
If your information is true, then coupled with what has "transpired" on the field, and especially this year, her decision should be easy.
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
Letsroll Letsroll is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 850
Join Date: Feb 2010
11-05-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Geek View Post
Any evidence that what your friend believes is true?

Or are we just expected to go on what your friend believes?
I doubt that he has anything in writing from Tedford or Sandy or, for that matter, Tosh.

However, do you honestly think Tedford or that the HC of a major program doesn't know that kind of strategy will be employed by one of his assistants before game time?

Do you think Lupoi is such a evil monster that he would hide something like that from Tedford and blindside him with it on game day?

Do you think that Lupoi is so out of control that he can do that kind of thing without tacit approval from his HC?
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
Letsroll Letsroll is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 850
Join Date: Feb 2010
11-05-2012, 06:35 AM

[quote=Cal88;841997059] Technically though it's outside of JT's gameday duties, it's the DC's responsibility to monitor his defense's actions.QUOTE]

I disagree. The HC is the CEO and he is ultimately responsible for it all.
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
Cal Geek Cal Geek is online now
Real Bear
 
Cal Geek's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,560
Join Date: Feb 2012
11-05-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsroll View Post
However, do you honestly think Tedford or that the HC of a major program doesn't know that kind of strategy will be employed by one of his assistants before game time?

Do you think Lupoi is such a evil monster that he would hide something like that from Tedford and blindside him with it on game day?
My theory is (and that's all we have here, theories and beliefs) that this "strategy", as you call it, was not a pre-game strategy, but was more of a spur of the moment thing. And that's my belief on this.
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
blungld blungld is offline
Real Bear
 
blungld's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,833
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Weston, CT
11-05-2012, 06:48 AM

I, for one, don't think that faking injuries is an ethics or character issue. Passing the buck on the other hand...

However, it seems that Tosh's public statements may have forced a chain of events.

I think the damning part of the Tosh story is the more senior coaches being jealous of Tosh. That is weak sauce. That shows lack of character and problems in leadership.
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
freshfunk freshfunk is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 4,924
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SODA Hall Showers
11-05-2012, 06:53 AM

This is mudslinging based on rumors.

I doubt JT would know about it then make Tosh the fall guy.

Why? Because JT is a stand up guy and very principled. How do I know this?

Look at his history. He's so principled he makes our starting QB sit out the first quarter of the opening game of the season for missing a tutoring session. No doubt that was his call and yet more proof of how he'll stick to his guns.

That doesn't sound like the type of guy who'd shift blame to someone else on his staff.

Compare this to the position coach who left in the middle of the night and changed his tune to his recruits 180 degrees.

Base on their actions there's one person who sticks out as doing anything to win even if ethically questionable and it isn't JT.
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
Letsroll Letsroll is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 850
Join Date: Feb 2010
11-05-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Geek View Post
My theory is (and that's all we have here, theories and beliefs) that this "strategy", as you call it, was not a pre-game strategy, but was more of a spur of the moment thing. And that's my belief on this.
And you maybe right considering how **** poor was the acting by our guys but I doubt it.

The strategy was planned which did NOT include keeping Tedford out of the loop. If that was the case, I have to believe at least one of our players would have called "Bullsh#t" on Tosh.

Even though Tedford may give his coaches some autonomy it is not without reasonable limits. Actions which would bring embarassment to the program would not be freely chosen without constraints by any assistant coach.

I seriously doubt the QB coach or the OL coach has the autonomy to allow an opposing stud DL a direct and untouched opening to the QB so that he can drill a ball right into his private parts. If so, we have a rogue program.
Reply With Quote
  (#11) Old
SonomaBear SonomaBear is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,231
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northern Sonoma County
11-05-2012, 08:54 AM

After the first few instances, why didn't JT confront and ask/demand that it be stopped?
Reply With Quote
  (#12) Old
BearGoggles BearGoggles is online now
Real Bear
 
Posts: 566
Join Date: Jul 2008
11-05-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshfunk View Post
This is mudslinging based on rumors.

I doubt JT would know about it then make Tosh the fall guy.

Why? Because JT is a stand up guy and very principled. How do I know this?

Look at his history. He's so principled he makes our starting QB sit out the first quarter of the opening game of the season for missing a tutoring session. No doubt that was his call and yet more proof of how he'll stick to his guns.

That doesn't sound like the type of guy who'd shift blame to someone else on his staff.

Compare this to the position coach who left in the middle of the night and changed his tune to his recruits 180 degrees.

Base on their actions there's one person who sticks out as doing anything to win even if ethically questionable and it isn't JT.
That may be the funniest thing I've ever read on this board. Do you really think JT suspended Maynard because he missed a tutoring sessions? A few thoughts to consider:

1. More likely, Maynard was suspended because he was nearly academically ineligible or some combinantion of factors - not a single tutoring session. If that is the case, it means Tedford lied about the reason for the suspension. Is that what a "principled man of integrity" does?

2. Even if the story is accurate and Maynard was suspended for missing one tutoring session, Tedford didn't disclose that to anyone (including his own team). Is that what a "principled man of integrity" does?

3. Tedford repeatedly lies and misleads about injuries. Is that what a "principled man of integrity" does?

4. In his dealings with the media, JT can't give a straight answer. He typically acts like he doesn't understand the premises of tough questions and answers with dismissive statements like "I don't know what you mean." Either he is delusional, dumb, and/or dishonest. Take your pick, but to me it seems like the later in which case he is not as principled as you suggest.

5. With regard to Tosh, the way he left is indefensible. However that fact that Tosh lacks integrity doesn't mean that Tedford has integrity. If you look at how injurygate was handled, it seems very unlikely that ONLY Tosh was aware of it. Clancy and Tedford likely knew in advance, or certainly knew on the sidelines - after all the trainers were "treating" the fake injuries and there were some miraculous recoveries. Bottom line, a man of "principle and integrity" (i) takes responsibility; (ii) doesn't scapegoat; and (iii) stands up for his players and coaches particularly if they made an honest mistake in judgement. Tedford did none of those things. Would you work for that guy? A stand up (or in your words, "principled') guy would have taken the suspension himself even if he didn't know (under the "buck stops here" theory). Also, Mr. Tedford, man of principle, once again didn't announce the suspension of Tosh ahead of time - not particularly honest.

6. If you look at JT's statements after games, he constanatly is shifting blame to others, denying the obvious failings of his teams, or making excuses. Also, how many offensive coordinators and other assistant coaches has be blown through? More blaming of staff. He is the very worst kind of blame-shifter.

Freshfunk - you need to wake up. The bolded statements are absurd. If you think Tedford deserves to keep his job, you are entitled to your opinion. But to borrow a phrase, you are not entitled to your own facts. And your post is laughable in that regard.

Last edited by BearGoggles; 11-05-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  (#13) Old
ColoradoBear1 ColoradoBear1 is online now
True Blue Golden Bear
 
ColoradoBear1's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,561
Join Date: Jul 2008
11-05-2012, 09:08 AM

fucking a, almost every team used 'injuries' to slow down oregon that year. we were not the first or last. we were the only ones who looked completely ammeter about it and had a asst coach admit it to a reporter. dumb. don't admit it and no one's hand is forced.

http://www.newser.com/article/da29et...er-to-nfl.html

you are going to want the HC or DC suspended for doing some gamesmanship that works only when all you have to 'yes he was really injured(wink, wink)' and STFU after that?
Reply With Quote
  (#14) Old
6bear6 6bear6 is offline
Golden Bear
 
6bear6's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,824
Join Date: Jul 2008
11-05-2012, 09:11 AM

Tipoti ought to be banned forever from getting a S.A.G. card. What a lousy actor!
Reply With Quote
  (#15) Old
RealDrew2 RealDrew2 is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 2,905
Join Date: Jul 2008
11-05-2012, 09:19 AM

1.Name one time Tedford repeatedly lied about injuries. I dare you to provide a link or other evidence. You can't.

2. OUr AD is the one who forced Tosh to aplogize, etc. And frankly, all evidence is that Tosh was behind it. Notice none of the other defensive positions on the field did the same thing, i.e. CBs, and LBs. Pretty strong evidence it was Tosh. If it had been the entire defense, LBs would have done it too.

3. Instructions were that if players fell down, they should not get up right away, but take their free injury time and get a sub. But Tosh was not told that DL should fake injuries.

4. Given our GSR rates, I fully support Tedford suspending Maynard for academics. If you don't, please don't ever come on this board complaining about those GSR rates again.

5. Tedford actually tells the press the truth about injuries, unlike most teams

6. Regarding assistant coaches, Other than OCs, who admittedly don't seem to get along with Tedford, other assistants stay with us longer than most other schools. We have had two DC in 11 years, and until Tosh left, only two DL coaches, one RB coach, Two OL coaches. That is actually pretty good.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Ad Management by RedTyger