Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Women's Basketball
Reload this Page Proud of our Women's team....
Notices

(#1) Old
Real Bear

Proud of our Women's team.... - 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM

They were really fun, albeit at time exasperating to watch. But they gave their all. I hope I am right that there is also good team chemistry. We all know we have a pretty good team and we want them to get to that top level.

Now, for next year, I hope Lindsay and staff really stress and work on:

(1) Passing game. It's not just the passer that has to know what a good pass is. The intended receiver has to work hard to be in position to receive the pass.

MOVE the ball. With our talented bigs, sharp passes (bounced or otherwise) are crucial for easy baskets.

(2) Outside shooting. Again, work to get free and square bodies to basket on shots. We have got to find a consistent 3 point shooter or two

(3) With every player back next year (including Cohen), we should have better maturity. So the team should use that in their games. Fear no one!

(4) And, yes, (how many times must this be brought up?), work on free throws! We have a team that gets fouled a lot. We need to make opponents pay as ND did against us.

Rant off!

Thank you Cal WBB for a wonderful season. Can't wait for next season!!
  (#2) Old
Real Bear

03-21-2012, 12:09 PM

Well said.

and, just in case it wasn't clear enough....free throws, free throws, free throws.

Great season though and looking forward to next year.
  (#3) Old
Real Bear

Go Bears! - 03-21-2012, 12:35 PM

can't wait to see these girls next year.

I think we break Stanford's Pac 10/12 reign next year
  (#4) Old
New Bear

03-21-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longseeker View Post
They were really fun, albeit at time exasperating to watch. But they gave their all. I hope I am right that there is also good team chemistry. We all know we have a pretty good team and we want them to get to that top level.

Now, for next year, I hope Lindsay and staff really stress and work on:

(1) Passing game. It's not just the passer that has to know what a good pass is. The intended receiver has to work hard to be in position to receive the pass.

MOVE the ball. With our talented bigs, sharp passes (bounced or otherwise) are crucial for easy baskets.

(2) Outside shooting. Again, work to get free and square bodies to basket on shots. We have got to find a consistent 3 point shooter or two

(3) With every player back next year (including Cohen), we should have better maturity. So the team should use that in their games. Fear no one!

(4) And, yes, (how many times must this be brought up?), work on free throws! We have a team that gets fouled a lot. We need to make opponents pay as ND did against us.

Rant off!

Thank you Cal WBB for a wonderful season. Can't wait for next season!!
What do all see in COHEN?? She hasnt played at the US level of b-ball yet, and everyone seem to put her in a "savior" role. I mean, i understand she's a great team-mate, student etc., but on a b-ball standpoint i just dont know!! ARIEL BOSTICK(BOD) will be a great asset, JORDAN CANADA if i want small guards. The trend in WBB is BIG multi-positional guards ala MARIAH MOORE(Salesian HS) who's a "winner", forces action, and makes players around her BETTER!!!
  (#5) Old
Loyal Bear

When I saw Moore this summer against Mercedes Russell team - 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM

she was playing power forward. And she looked good. I'll see her again this weekend but I pictured her as more of a small forward type.

Loved Canada. Great point guard. Not so fond of Bostick. She seems like she is out of control a lot. Will see her again this weekend. I like the freshmen at BOD better. She will be a great point guard. Also the frosh at Salesian is worth looking at too. And I like the freshman point guard at St. Mary's of Stockton too.

If you want a bigger point guard then you want Gabby Green. And that is a fact. Although I believe Natalie Romero is faster and shoots better from long range.
  (#6) Old
Loyal Bear

Addendum - 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM

If you want a tall point guard then I would check out LaJaha Drummer. She is 6'2" and is suppose to be interested in us. I saw her last year as a freshman and she brought the ball up the court. Rated the number 6 player in the nation behind Canada and Green. She is a stud.

My own nonscientific poll. Best shooters in the 2013 class in Northern Cal are Lynette Johnson of Kennedy in Sacramento (haven't seen her) and Briana Ruiz of Del Oro of Loomis. Have seen Ruiz but couldn't make a definitive statement. I think she was on the same team as Moore but I don't have a program. she made a couple but so what. Have to see more of her.

I liked Courtney Range in the games i saw of her. But Schroeder said she had a poor game against Mitty. Still Range is a complete player. And one of the best in Northern Cal period.
  (#7) Old
Real Bear

03-21-2012, 03:30 PM

I like Cohen a great deal as a person. As for her playing time--if she's going to get minutes next season--she will have to demonstrate improved speed and defensive prowess. Of course she's hardly played but a few minutes this season and that could be due to coming back from injury....but from the little I've witnessed her speed isn't there (yet). That could change, but then again, maybe it won't.

At any rate, she's a great kid and one of those who helps energize her teammates from the bench. Let's face it, at this level, there are always going to be players who ride the bench (assuming you have anywhere near 15 scholarship players). Look at Stanford (and other high-level programs)--they have kids who, like Cohen, see little playing time, but have stuck it out, supported their teammates and received a great education in the process...

(#8) Old
Real Bear

03-21-2012, 03:34 PM

LaJahna Drummer seems to be a 3-4, not a guard.
  (#9) Old
New Bear

03-21-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calwbbfan View Post
i like cohen a great deal as a person. As for her playing time--if she's going to get minutes next season--she will have to demonstrate improved speed and defensive prowess. Of course she's hardly played but a few minutes this season and that could be due to coming back from injury....but from the little i've witnessed her speed isn't there (yet). That could change, but then again, maybe it won't.

At any rate, she's a great kid and one of those who helps energize her teammates from the bench. Let's face it, at this level, there are always going to be players who ride the bench (assuming you have anywhere near 15 scholarship players). Look at stanford (and other high-level programs)--they have kids who, like cohen, see little playing time, but have stuck it out, supported their teammates and received a great education in the process...

true.....& very valid!!!
  (#10) Old
New Bear

03-21-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
If you want a tall point guard then I would check out LaJaha Drummer. She is 6'2" and is suppose to be interested in us. I saw her last year as a freshman and she brought the ball up the court. Rated the number 6 player in the nation behind Canada and Green. She is a stud.

My own nonscientific poll. Best shooters in the 2013 class in Northern Cal are Lynette Johnson of Kennedy in Sacramento (haven't seen her) and Briana Ruiz of Del Oro of Loomis. Have seen Ruiz but couldn't make a definitive statement. I think she was on the same team as Moore but I don't have a program. she made a couple but so what. Have to see more of her.

I liked Courtney Range in the games i saw of her. But Schroeder said she had a poor game against Mitty. Still Range is a complete player. And one of the best in Northern Cal period.
I have too say that MOORE is a GAME CHANGER!! Can get it off glass, lead break, finish, dish, draw contact!! You will see her display ALL mentioned in the finals. She's the type of wing/point fwd that the BEARS have been lacking. She's a lil streaky from beyond the arc, but can get the OLD-FASHION 3 ala NOREVAL/ND. The "will" to win is what she brings!!
  (#11) Old
Loyal Bear

Drummer won't be a 4 - 03-21-2012, 04:13 PM

I guess what I was saying was that she handles the ball very well. Acts as a point guard for her team as far as bringing the ball up the court. When Dena asked for a big point guard, that was what I thought would be a point guard. I could see her more as a point forward but I don't think she plays well with her back to the basket. Did you see her last year.

On the other hand, Green is a point guard. Long arms, around 6' tall. Very good player. Haven't seen her since she came back from her injury.
  (#12) Old
Loyal Bear

I agree with Calwbbfan - 03-21-2012, 04:18 PM

Cohen right now is very slow. She may pick up after a year from her injury. she does play a mean air guitar on her crutch from last year. Too many times readers fall in love with film. What the film doesn't show you is how slow the other players are.

On the other hand when you watch Brittany Boyd against Carondolet, you got to be fast cause they are fast. Should always see players live if you can.
  (#13) Old
New Bear

03-21-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Cohen right now is very slow. She may pick up after a year from her injury. she does play a mean air guitar on her crutch from last year. Too many times readers fall in love with film. What the film doesn't show you is how slow the other players are.

On the other hand when you watch Brittany Boyd against Carondolet, you got to be fast cause they are fast. Should always see players live if you can.
TRUE.....you're@your BEST 2day!!
  (#14) Old
Real Bear

03-21-2012, 05:02 PM

PG - Jordin Canada 2014
SG - Gabby Green 2014
SF - Mariya Moore 2014
PF - Erica McCall 2013
C - Kendall Cooper 2013

Is that really so much to ask for?
  (#15) Old
Golden Bear

03-21-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Have seen Ruiz but couldn't make a definitive statement. I think she was on the same team as Moore but I don't have a program.

Brianna Ruiz is on Explosion and Mariah Moore on the bay Area Warriors. I'm liking Mariya Moore more and more over gabby Green at least for now. Mariya right now has more of the body for college and think she can shoot the ball better but then again both our only soph now and can improve even more. Mariya is a stronger version of Layshia..and has the ability to go inside but more important also have a pull up jumper.