Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Jorge IS - Pac-12 Player of the Year
Notices

(#1) Old
Publisher, Bear Insider

Jorge IS - Pac-12 Player of the Year - 03-05-2012, 04:38 PM

From Cal Media Relations:

BERKELEY – California men’s basketball senior guard Jorge Gutierrez was named the 2011-12 Pac-12 Player of the Year, Commissioner Larry Scott announced on Monday, March 5. The fourth-year Golden Bear was also honored as the league’s Defensive Player of the Year. Sophomore guard Allen Crabbe joined Gutierrrez on the all-conference first team and senior forward Harper Kamp received second-team honors for the second time.

Gutierrez is the only player in conference history ever to receive both the Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year awards. His accomplishment in the same year marks only the second time that a school has received both awards in the same season. In 2007-08, UCLA’s Kevin Love was named Player of the Year and Russell Westbrook was chosen for Defensive Player of the Year honors.

Sophomore guard Justin Cobbs received Pac-12 honorable mention and freshman forward David Kravish was named to the five-man Pac-12 All-Freshman team. Washington’s Tony Wroten was selected as the conference’s Freshman of the Year and was flanked by Huskies head coach Lorenzo Romar who received Coach of the Year honors. Washington State’s Brock Motum was named the league’s most improved player of the year.

Gutierrez has been instrumental in leading the Bears to their third 20-win season in four years and becomes the sixth Cal player to earn Pac-12 Player of the Year honors. He joins Jason Kidd (1994), Shareef Abdur-Rahim (1996), Ed Gray (1997), Sean Lampley (2001), and Jerome Randle (2010). Gutierrez averaged 12.9 ppg (12th in Pac-12), posted 5.3 rebounds per game, and a team-best 1.2 steals per game (12th in Pac-12). He is the active career leader for assists (408), is second in steals (145) and is third for points (1,189).

Defensively, Gutierrez has been a key for the Bears, this year. Cal has allowed its opponents only 61.2 points per game overall. As a team, Cal is in the league’s top-three for field goal percentage defense (.408), three-point percentage defense (.324), and rebounding defense (30.5). Gutierrez led the team in steals (36 total, 1.2 spg, 12th in Pac-12) and is ninth in the Pac-12 in defensive rebounds with an average of 4.5 ppg. He joins Butch Hays (1984) as the second Cal player to earn the honor.

Crabbe was last year’s Pac-10 Freshman of the Year and has continued to be a valuable cog to the Cal offense. He averaged 15.4 ppg, this season, and ranked second on the team in rebounds (5.6 rpg). Kamp has been as consistent a force for the Bears as ever. He started all 31 of Cal’s games, and has put in 11.3 ppg to go with 5.1 rpg.

Cobbs produced career numbers in all statistical categories, this year, and is second in the conference for assists (5.1 apg). He scored a career-high 28 points in a win against Oregon and had 13 assists against Oregon State; both Cal highs. Kravish has contributed 7.0 ppg and 5.7 rpg, this year. He leads the team with 36 blocks and grabbed a season-high 18 rebounds in a win against USC on Feb. 9.

Cal (23-8, 13-5 Pac-12) holds the second seed in the upcoming Pacific Life Pac-12 Tournament and will face the winner of a game between Stanford and Arizona State in the quarterfinals on Thursday, March 8, at 6 p.m. PT at Staples Center in Los Angeles. Please visit www.Pac-12.org for more information.
  (#2) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

03-05-2012, 09:12 PM

Jorge is highly deserving of the PacXII - POY. He's the first in conference history. Similarly, Kravish, Harper and Allen deserve their respective all-conference recoignition, too. I'm hoping Monty can lead the Bears to a Tournament Championship, and a deep run in the Big Dance. Go Bears!
  (#3) Old
Active Bear

03-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puget sound cal fan View Post
Jorge is highly deserving of the PacXII - POY. He's the first in conference history. Similarly, Kravish, Harper and Allen deserve their respective all-conference recoignition, too. I'm hoping Monty can lead the Bears to a Tournament Championship, and a deep run in the Big Dance. Go Bears!
Not sure if it is kosher to post in these stickies but I'll do it anyway. Jorge for pac-12 player of the year was a surprise to a lot of us in the cu board. He's not even the best player on your team let alone in the league. Our stat monkey pulled this post together based on win shares and what they meant to the overall performance of the team. Crabbe is far more valuable to Cal than Jorge based on that, and based on the two games against us I'd agree.

If some one can tell me how to insert a table I'll post the stats rather than link them.
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

A Show of Ignorance - 03-09-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
Not sure if it is kosher to post in these stickies but I'll do it anyway. Jorge for pac-12 player of the year was a surprise to a lot of us in the cu board. He's not even the best player on your team let alone in the league. Our stat monkey pulled this post together based on win shares and what they meant to the overall performance of the team. Crabbe is far more valuable to Cal than Jorge based on that, and based on the two games against us I'd agree.

If some one can tell me how to insert a table I'll post the stats rather than link them.
"Based on the two games against us[Colorado]"???

As Jorge has played in far in excess of 100 games at Cal and more than 1/2 as a starter, do you really think your scant familiarity with him qualifies you to assess his value? And that you are in a better position than the coaches in the conference to judge him?