Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page D-Wade's classy comments on Jeremy Lin
Notices

(#1) Old
no bear

D-Wade's classy comments on Jeremy Lin - 02-24-2012, 06:39 PM

Dwayne Wade and his Heat teammates (who have the best pressure defense in the NBA) shut down Jeremy Lin and the Knicks last night. You could see this one coming a mile away. Lin getting a ton of praise and competitive players like Wade and LeBron quietly vowing that it would not happen in THEIR house.

I would have loved it if Lin had succeeded against the Heat, but that was not realistic. What happened last night was the next best thing. Here are the first words out of Wade's mouth following the game:

"First of all he deserves all of the credit that he's been given. We knew that it would be a tough task guarding him in the high pick and roll. Our point guards did a great job. He's a good player, but we put a lot of pressure on him and it was a success."

What a class thing to say. And a pretty accurate assessment of things as well. But the strange thing is that so many NBA players and commentators (e.g. Jayson what's his name) have only negative things to say about Lin and his recent success.

That comment is just one of many things that sets Wade apart from most of his colleagues in the NBA. He is not only a great player but a class guy. Stafon Diggs, if he ever wants to be a real pro, should take note.
  (#2) Old
Real Bear

02-24-2012, 06:45 PM

Lay off Diggs. Nobody is a "real pro" when they are a teenager. Think back to when you were a teen. Anything you regret? Plenty I am sure. That is why it's called "growing up".
  (#3) Old
no bear

02-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby View Post
Lay off Diggs. Nobody is a "real pro" when they are a teenager. Think back to when you were a teen. Anything you regret? Plenty I am sure. That is why it's called "growing up".
Well, THAT comment proves you can never expect what you will get back when you start a thread on BearInsider.

Darby, there is a difference between uttering a comment you later regret and taking the time to type up a Twitter comment that is WAY over the top (knowing that the whole world will see it, and it is out there permanently). At age 18, Diggs is old enough to know better. He will find out over the next 48 hours. Expect a retraction or qualification shortly (that is, if he has any brains at all).

Moreover, why should I be concerned about Diggs' welfare? Didn't he commit to some school OTHER THAN Cal?
  (#4) Old
Real Bear

02-24-2012, 07:21 PM

Wade is the consummate NBA pro and has enough self-confidence to be generous in his comments about up-and-coming players like Lin. Most other players are still wannabees and are struggling to make their own names and reps. They feel threatened by Lin's success and unfortunately think that they are raising their own reps by putting Lin's down. In the end, their jealousies are evident and make them look petty and mean. Always better to say something nice or just keep quiet.
  (#5) Old
Active Bear

02-24-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby View Post
You don't get a get out of jail free card for racism because you're a teen.
  (#6) Old
Real Bear

02-24-2012, 08:31 PM

What did he say
  (#7) Old
no bear

02-24-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayetee11 View Post
What did he say
Diggs tweeted: "Everybody needs to get off Jeremy Lin egg roll and dumplings he's good though."
  (#8) Old
Real Bear

02-24-2012, 08:54 PM

Oh good... Another Jeremy Lin thread on BI.
  (#9) Old
Real Bear

02-24-2012, 09:13 PM

I think Darby might be hoping Diggs might change his mind one day and transfer here, please, God, no
  (#10) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

02-24-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LafayetteBear View Post
Diggs tweeted: "Everybody needs to get off Jeremy Lin egg roll and dumplings he's good though."
I don't even know exactly what that means.

agree w/ stivo -- no Diggs shouldn't be expected to be an NBA pro as a teen, but we should expect 18-year-olds to not be racist morons.
  (#11) Old
no bear

02-24-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
But the strange thing is that so many NBA players and commentators (e.g. Jayson what's his name) have only negative things to say about Lin and his recent success.

Not sure who you are referring to. Everytime I turn on ESPN or TNT, some announcer or analyst -- from Magic Johnson to Tim Legler to Kenny Smith to Jon Barry -- is saying that Jeremy Lin is the real deal.
  (#12) Old
Real Bear

02-25-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lee View Post
Not sure who you are referring to. Everytime I turn on ESPN or TNT, some announcer or analyst -- from Magic Johnson to Tim Legler to Kenny Smith to Jon Barry -- is saying that Jeremy Lin is the real deal.
More importantly Richard, how quickly will Garrett Sim become the real deal when he signs his multimillion dollar deal with the Knicks next year?
  (#13) Old
Loyal Bear

02-25-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Dwayne Wade and his Heat teammates (who have the best pressure defense in the NBA) shut down Jeremy Lin and the Knicks last night. You could see this one coming a mile away. Lin getting a ton of praise and competitive players like Wade and LeBron quietly vowing that it would not happen in THEIR house.

I would have loved it if Lin had succeeded against the Heat, but that was not realistic. What happened last night was the next best thing. Here are the first words out of Wade's mouth following the game:

"First of all he deserves all of the credit that he's been given. We knew that it would be a tough task guarding him in the high pick and roll. Our point guards did a great job. He's a good player, but we put a lot of pressure on him and it was a success."

What a class thing to say. And a pretty accurate assessment of things as well. But the strange thing is that so many NBA players and commentators (e.g. Jayson what's his name) have only negative things to say about Lin and his recent success.

That comment is just one of many things that sets Wade apart from most of his colleagues in the NBA. He is not only a great player but a class guy. Stafon Diggs, if he ever wants to be a real pro, should take note.
Wade wasn't all that classy during the Finals last year.
  (#14) Old
Active Bear

02-25-2012, 08:46 AM

Everyone should continue verbally fellate J. Lin- especially after horrible performances- so Asian Americans don't get too down.
  (#15) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

02-25-2012, 09:54 AM

"Everybody needs to get off Dirk Nowitzki sauerbraten and dumplings he's good though."

There, I said it.