Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page I've wanted JT gone for years, BUT
Notices

(#91) Old
Loyal Bear

01-18-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsrock90 View Post
Any elaboration on the orchestrated attack point?
That didn't come from any of my sources, but it is my thinking. I don't think the timing or the specific guys targeted is a coincidence. I think it was a specific attack on this recruiting class. Tosh was known for having a relationship with AA, Shaq, McCarthy, Shittu, and others. The WR class was also very strong, hence EK. That is what UW was after. Again, doesn't seem like coincidence to me.
  (#92) Old
Real Bear

01-18-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarsuel View Post
I don't think the rift has anything to do with CP. More Tosh/JT. As I said earlier, I think it could be a number of reasons why the problem existed, but they had a problem. The timing of it and way it was handled seems to me to be a clear f you to JT. He was supposed to take a flight Monday morning to meet JT to go recruit. Instead he left JT a message saying he was gone, all the while recruiting against him and Cal. I should have hit him harder in the OP but I wanted to keep some stuff out. Now I'm just pissed... Even more. F Tosh.
Do you really believe this was intentional? At moments like this people that are professionally green make huge judgement errors and get pushed around by more experienced people. Sark has been in the football-as-a-business land for some time, Tosh had been at Cal his entire "adulthood". Tosh's quality as a recruiter was relating to 16 year-olds, not being a professional a-hole.

Maybe dude meant it when he said he'd stay at Cal for $300K, he tells Sark no, Sark knows Cal can't go higher *and* he knows Tosh is about to see Shaq, then Sark comes in with an offer for $500K (plus a boat) and tells him he has 12 hours to decide. Dude panics, blurts out his dilemma to Shaq, can't see the long term view of passing on half-a-million-dollars-a-year, and gets out of town because he can't look JT in the face.

Still the same impact, still burns every bridge and torpedoes his credibility. More immature than pure jerk.
  (#93) Old
no bear

01-18-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshfunk View Post
I don't know the details but understand if it may be the case that Tosh felt like he was thrown "under the bus."

But where people like Tepper and Silver are in the wrong is the suggestion that because he felt that way that it's ok to f*ck Cal over in the harshest way possible. Outside on something illegal, this is pretty darn close to it. If he felt that strongl about it, he should've left at the end of last season.

Considering he left without saying a word to Tedford or his recruits, it makes him look shady injury ate or not. I don't know if the story told here is true but it seems in line with the tweets from players.
Speaking of Silver, have you stopped twitter bombing him about what a scumbag Lupoi is yet?
  (#94) Old
Loyal Bear

01-18-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabes View Post
Do you really believe this was intentional? At moments like this people that are professionally green make huge judgement errors and get pushed around by more experienced people. Sark has been in the football-as-a-business land for some time, Tosh had been at Cal his entire "adulthood". Tosh's quality as a recruiter was relating to 16 year-olds, not being a professional a-hole.

Maybe dude meant it when he said he'd stay at Cal for $300K, he tells Sark no, Sark knows Cal can't go higher *and* he knows Tosh is about to see Shaq, then Sark comes in with an offer for $500K (plus a boat) and tells him he has 12 hours to decide. Dude panics, blurts out his dilemma to Shaq, can't see the long term view of passing on half-a-million-dollars-a-year, and gets out of town because he can't look JT in the face.

Still the same impact, still burns every bridge and torpedoes his credibility. More immature than pure jerk.
He's a 30 year old man. That's old enough to know about honor and right and wrong. Even if it went down exactly as you describe it doesn't make it any less bad.
  (#95) Old
Loyal Bear

01-18-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:

Yes, I believe it was intentional. Fine, let's suppose this version is how it went down (it isn't), he still has blatantly lied about being done with UW, as in Sark calls I don't answer done. You are letting him off WAY too easily. Immature AND pure jerk... not either or.
  (#96) Old
Real Bear

01-18-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
I'll just say this: It's worse than the original narrative.

I get being underappreciated and all the ramifications that come with it but when you clear out in the middle of the night with no warning and are immediately in contact with recruits that morning when your employers don't even know yet and start not only recruiting for your new program the guys you recruited for Cal but tell them, "DON'T GO TO CAL?"

That and other actions make this an irreparable rift, imo.
  (#97) Old
Real Bear

01-18-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:

No way this was a last minute thing. You are leaving out Lupaid's bromance with Wilcox. Wilcox has been grooming him for quite some time bail on Cal. No doubt he knew what Lupoi was unhappy about and which buttons to push.

Last edited by Darby; 01-18-2012 at 12:29 AM.
  (#98) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

01-18-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
I'll just say this: It's worse than the original narrative.

I get being underappreciated and all the ramifications that come with it but when you clear out in the middle of the night with no warning and are immediately in contact with recruits that morning when your employers don't even know yet and start not only recruiting for your new program the guys you recruited for Cal but tell them, "DON'T GO TO CAL?"

That and other actions make this an irreparable rift, imo.
Holy f--k -- it's shocking hearing this from you.
  (#99) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

01-18-2012, 12:30 AM

Hometown Report: Pacific-12 coaches keep tabs on local recruits

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/17/419...2-coaches.html

Quote:
About the time Kiffin was in Placer County, Cal coach Jeff Tedford was in Elk Grove visiting Thundering Herd offensive lineman Steven Moore. Tedford had one eye on the Packers-Giants game, twisting with every dropped Aaron Rodgers pass, and the other on the 6-7 Moore, who was as impressed with Tedford as the coach was with his recruit. Moore said he can't wait to play for the Bears.

Later Sunday, Tedford and assistant Tosh Lupoi stopped by the home of Grant star Shaq Thompson and visited Pleasant Grove ace lineman Arik Armstead. Tedford and Lupoi already had a verbal commitment from Thompson, and the coaches had hoped to inch closer to getting one from Armstead.

In an example of how transient college football can be for coaches and how fast things can change for prospects, consider what happened Monday morning. Lupoi left Cal for Pacific-12 Conference rival Washington to be its defensive-line coach and boost its recruiting efforts. The result was like a seismic ripple felt across the region.
  (#100) Old
Real Bear

01-18-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island View Post
Speaking of Silver, have you stopped twitter bombing him about what a scumbag Lupoi is yet?
Hi Yogi. How many screennames will you concoct in your pathetic existence to keep the Tedford hate brigade going?
  (#101) Old
Active Bear

01-18-2012, 12:38 AM

After hearing so many different opinions/insider info on what happened, I'm guessing that Tosh did go out in a big and malicious way. The big reason why he would choose to do so is that he must have felt very disrespected in some fashion first, and wanted to really make it a big FU on the way out.

My off-the-wall theory, then, would point back to the JT matching the offer event...

JT thinks TL is using his stature as a top recruiter to get more, so he gets peeved at him for pushing his salary - "ok, here's the most I can do, and no more. If you want to be here, then you should be happy about this. No one makes this much at your level, and you should be fortunate to get this offer. We will not be in a bidding war for you."

TL takes this as a slap in the face of "we'll up your salary to make you satisfied, but you should be grateful you are even in this position. I made you, I can take it away." He is fuming and feels unappreciated. He starts considering UW for real, where he can really be appreciated for his work and ability, and the $$$ to go with it. Sark seems to be a young, ambitious guy, and his friends are all there already as coaches. Once the huge offer rolls in, he doesn't need much convincing after that.

He could have moved on with class, but he feels so betrayed by JT, he wants to hurt him bad. What better way to do so than by leaving in the middle of the night, clearing out the desk, and recruiting for a competitor right away without a moment's hesitation? All with a smile on his face the night before, while he was secretly waiting to attack. He must love mafia movies, because that is straight gansta.

He wants to say sorry to his team he abandoned, but it's not about them or Cal...it's about sending a message to JT. He should learn to appreciate his people more. He got what he deserved.

-----------------------------------------------

Man, I should've been a writer for a drama show. Maybe we can make a new Friday Night Lights drama, except for college football? That would be a fun episode.
  (#102) Old
Real Bear

01-18-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarsuel View Post
Yes, I believe it was intentional. Fine, let's suppose this version is how it went down (it isn't), he still has blatantly lied about being done with UW, as in Sark calls I don't answer done. You are letting him off WAY too easily. Immature AND pure jerk... not either or.
Even if it wasn't intentional, it's professionally incompetent.

Thx for your response. I just re-read MBs response. Intentional, deliberate, unethical, stupid.

I posted, somewhere, that I think this will harm us more than it helps UW. I still think that's true, at least in the short run. This storyline has to turn the Thompson family against Tosh and UW, and Syd still has good feelings about Cal. No Tosh and all the drama probably cost us McCarthy and AA and who knows who else just says f-ck Cal and f-ck Tosh I'm going with ND/SC/etc where coaches only leave when they get fired or they get a HC job somewhere else.
  (#103) Old
Real Bear

01-18-2012, 01:27 AM

You know what would make new incredibly happy? There is a special needs fellow that comes to all the cal functions (games, practice, fan day etc) that always has a green bike, military style pants, coke bottle glasses, a huge cigar behind his ear....and a Lupoi jersey. I want him at the UW game to run out to the 50, light that thing on fire, and give tosh the double bird and walk right off
  (#104) Old
Loyal Bear

01-18-2012, 04:30 AM

How does Lupaid (I like it) like East Jibrue? Because that's where his next job will be. This one won't last forever and the coaching fraternity has a long memory.
  (#105) Old
Real Bear

01-18-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydo View Post
Later Sunday, Tedford and assistant Tosh Lupoi stopped by the home of Grant star Shaq Thompson and visited Pleasant Grove ace lineman Arik Armstead. Tedford and Lupoi already had a verbal commitment from Thompson, and the coaches had hoped to inch closer to getting one from Armstead.
Tedford and Lupoi were together on Sunday? Visited Shaq together? How does that jive with the story that Lupoi discussed his UW offer w/Shaq Sunday, or Lupoi not talking to Tedford right before he bolted?