Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page I've wanted JT gone for years, BUT
Notices

(#61) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

01-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxer View Post
No. You're not getting it. When an employee gets a competing offer, if they would prefer to stay at their current place they say "listen, I got this offer, but if you can match it I'll stay". That's what Tosh did. It is common practice that once that happens, that's it -- the guy stays. It is NOT common practice, and looked down upon (at least in business, which is what I can speak to) to then go to the other company and "shop the offer" -- "they matched it, can you do any better?". That is an unethical practice in and of itself.
Especially when you've promised the current employer that you won't use their matching offer as leverage
  (#62) Old
Real Bear

01-17-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaasBear04 View Post
Did you OD on the Zoloft?

j/k...thats a pretty solid perspective you have. Unfortunately, I don't think one hypothetical rose bowl appearance could possibly offset all the years (for older alums, decades) of disappointment. Or maybe that's just me.
Quick anecdote. One of my best friends in B-school was a DIEHARD Red Sox fan. I mean diehard. One of the big reasons he chose HBS over Stanford was that he wanted to be able to still go to Sox games. (After graduation, he stayed in Boston and worked at Fidelity instead of taking a 1.5x offer to work on Wall Street.) Obviously there were other factors, but he seriously took being able to watch his Sox as a major variable in life decisions. It's actually one of the reasons we get along so well. I don't think he is nuts.

Fast forward to 2004, we all know what happened with the Red Sox coming back from 0-3 against the Yankees and winning the WS. He told me he literally cried like a baby when it finally happened (and he is a pretty tough dude). It meant that much to him. And a big part of it was all the hardship he had to endure as a Red Sox fan.

After they won it again in 2006, he was overjoyed, but it was not like 2004. He told me nothing in his life (as far as sports is concerned) will EVER come close to 2004. If anything, he's pretty bummed that with all the success, his team has become like his worst enemy, the Yankees.

This Tosh incident will be a small footnote in Cal history when our Golden Bears win the RB. And it will make it just a bit sweeter. Just like losing Snyder, Kneepads, Toejam cheating, etc.
  (#63) Old
Real Bear

Tosh Lupoi Ethics and Morality come into Question - 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM

I could now believe that the faking of injuries was all Lupoi's idea. That would be right in line with his unethical conduct.
  (#64) Old
no bear

01-17-2012, 08:21 PM

Someone should start a poll on this question. Who was responsible for calling the code red against Oregon last yr?. If it was on Tosh, then his true color showed last yr(so this should be no surprise), but then it was fashionable to write it off as gamesmanship.

Now if it was JT, then it shows "his" lack of character and class to let Tosh take the blame for the fiasco(ie-trip and push under public transit). Perhaps subconsciously, Tosh wanted to get back at the institution and person responsible for his humiliating situation last year.

I would guess 2/3rd of the people on here think it was JT who called for the code red.
  (#65) Old
Real Bear

Lupoi Unethical conduct - 01-17-2012, 08:21 PM

Believe me, Ethical conduct versus unethical conduct is a slippery slope. I see NCAA violations next.
  (#66) Old
no bear

01-17-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcspe69 View Post
Believe me, Ethical conduct versus unethical conduct is a slippery slope. I see NCAA violations next.
Heard Willie Lyles sold the report to Sark revealing what screen name Tosh used on Xbox. But given the scrutiny now, Sark retroactively asked for a invoice for COD cheater notes in addition username.
  (#67) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

01-17-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarsuel View Post
Both things can be equally true, it isn't either or. Maybe he agreed to leave because of the payday, but decided to throw in a little f you on the way out because he was pissed, be it a perceived lack of pay, perceived lack of credit, injurygate, whatever.
Pretty much right on the money...your sources are correct from what I know for the most part
  (#68) Old
Real Bear

01-17-2012, 08:37 PM

Expose the Toshtitute!
  (#69) Old
Loyal Bear

01-17-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Fan2 View Post
Pretty much right on the money...your sources are correct from what I know for the most part
I've been chomping at the bit to say something. It seems that you and jesterno2 were having the same dilemma. Hope I took some pressure off you guys. I don't want to burn anyone, but it is worth being the bad guy with my sources for a bit to get the truth out there. The board at large deserves it. Seems that you are getting similar info and that we are getting to the bottom of this.
  (#70) Old
Real Bear

01-17-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biely medved View Post
really? Sandy admin #3? One would have to really be divorced from reality if you think now is the time in this state to more than double the pay of an assistant coach to more than 10x the salary of a teacher and more than the chancelor who is already criticized for being overpaid and when you are akso stuck overpaying the head coach.

Total red herring argument. This is ESPN money for football broadcasts paying these football coaches. Which TV channel on your cable bill pays for a teacher?
  (#71) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

01-17-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarsuel View Post
I've been chomping at the bit to say something. It seems that you and jesterno2 were having the same dilemma. Hope I took some pressure off you guys. I don't want to burn anyone, but it is worth being the bad guy with my sources for a bit to get the truth out there. The board at large deserves it. Seems that you are getting similar info and that we are getting to the bottom of this.
Glad you could.....more to the story but Tosh really screwed the pooch in more ways than one...sent you a PM...thanks
  (#72) Old
Golden Bear

01-17-2012, 09:54 PM

Damn. If all of this is true, Lupoi sold out his reputation and respectability for a $300k raise. Kinda cheap, don'tcha think?

I guess today's snowstorm in Seattle was Mother Nature's way of saying, "Tosh? You're kind of a...."
  (#73) Old
Real Bear

01-17-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Bear View Post
Damn. If all of this is true, Lupoi sold out his reputation and respectability for a $300k raise. Kinda cheap, don'tcha think?

I guess today's snowstorm in Seattle was Mother Nature's way of saying, "Tosh? You're kind of a...."
After taxes, it's not even that much (even if there are no state taxes in WA). Point is that he made a bad calculation and sold himself short. Congrats, you ruined your reputation and name for how much?

Nobody is giving him sh*t for taking the money, it's how he did it. Just a dumb*ss call on his part.

That article in ESPN now rings completely hollow.
  (#74) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

01-17-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBear View Post
After taxes, it's not even that much (even if there are no state taxes in WA). Point is that he made a bad calculation and sold himself short. Congrats, you ruined your reputation and name for how much?

Nobody is giving him sh*t for taking the money, it's how he did it. Just a dumb*ss call on his part.

That article in ESPN now rings completely hollow.
Not completely my friend...I mean, JT is not without some blame but Tosh played him, Sandy AND Cal for fools after giving his word he's stay after we matched 2 offers.....I don't know what more Cal could do without breaking the bank...for those who still want to blame someone, Tosh gave his word he'd stay at Cal for the new raise..and then stabbed them in the back.....
  (#75) Old
Real Bear

01-17-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuUrsinae View Post
Someone should start a poll on this question. Who was responsible for calling the code red against Oregon last yr?. If it was on Tosh, then his true color showed last yr(so this should be no surprise), but then it was fashionable to write it off as gamesmanship.

Now if it was JT, then it shows "his" lack of character and class to let Tosh take the blame for the fiasco(ie-trip and push under public transit). Perhaps subconsciously, Tosh wanted to get back at the institution and person responsible for his humiliating situation last year.

I would guess 2/3rd of the people on here think it was JT who called for the code red.
You need an option for "insignificant lack of character." Boundaries get pushed in sports. They get pushed in recruiting (*ahem*), they get pushed on the field. There are truly dirty things, like head-hunting a team's best player, or paying a runner $25,000. There are dirty things that are accepted, like holding on every play or the stuff that goes on in the pile. Speaking of ways to buy time, there are things that seem dirty but have been around for so long that they aren't, like taking a knee for two straight minutes rather than actually playing football, icing a kicker, etc. Within each of those, there're also degrees of difference. Cal's ~3 questionable injury timeouts in the entire game didn't cause us to shut down your offense. ASU's NINE freaking injury time-outs (was it 5 or 7 in the first half?) were really, truly ridiculous. Chase Thomas was just as blatant as Tipoti was in the Stanford game. If one of those Stanford or ASU coaches got hired tomorrow, no one would bring up their ethics. The only reason Oregon makes this an ethical issue for Cal is that analysts spent the next week dissecting the (entirely legitimate) ways that we shut down your O.

Last edited by berk18; 01-17-2012 at 10:48 PM.