Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page I've wanted JT gone for years, BUT
Notices

(#46) Old
New Bear

In Home visit question - 01-17-2012, 06:08 PM

I have a question, So if Tosh went to Shaq as a Cal Staff member and recruited him as a Husky, Does Cal lose an in home visit also since "someone" from Cal already made that visit this week? Last I check there is only one in home visit per week for an athlete by the school right?
  (#47) Old
Real Bear

01-17-2012, 06:13 PM

Takes all kind to make a world.
  (#48) Old
Real Bear

01-17-2012, 06:35 PM

Not going to sweat the small stuff. I was shocked to find out Tosh had "did us dirty," but I'm not going to get too worked up about it. He did what was best for him and he showed his true colors when it counted.

There is no doubt Sark is trying to pay for those recruits. And Tosh knows it. He went for the short term money and it will wind up biting him in the ass at some point. He doesn't even realize that money isn't even life changing.

But whatever, that's on him. I'll hope for the best come LOI day, but expect the worst. That's the life of a Cal fan way too many times. Until it's not. I thought the same way as a SF Giant fan.

It's crap like this (and 2004) and the endless list of near misses that will make it that much sweeter when it does happen.

I can tell you this as a lifelong 9er fan. Even if they win the SB this year (which would be amazing), no way it's like the '81 season when the 9ers won the SB for the first time. I didn't even have to wait that long as a fan.

I can only imagine how glorious it will be when Cal makes and wins the RB. It will happen and it will make all this pain and suffering worth it. And the players (and coaches and AD) that bring us that RB will be immortalized by every Cal fan. You can count on it.

My question to the recruits (now and in the future), do you want a shot at that immortality?
  (#49) Old
Active Bear

01-17-2012, 07:03 PM

Not many schools face a mass exodus over one assistant. What's happening here is almost unprecedented proportion-wise. This type of thing generally happens when a head coach is rumored to be leaving. I would strongly disagree---the magnitude of this is VERY unusual. Just check out both boards since the Lupoi announcement---you'd have thought Armageddon was approaching on the premium board---seriously! Absolutely non-stop with rumors, panic, and total craziness all day and night since yesterday. Granted, I haven't been privy to inside doings at many other schools,
but I have to believe this situation is pretty unique. And most unbiased would agree,
a strong head coach right now would do much to assuage the panic. I'm afraid that many fear we could lose not just assistants, but potential great recruits if things don't settle down quickly.....
  (#50) Old
Active Bear

01-17-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBear View Post
Not going to sweat the small stuff. I was shocked to find out Tosh had "did us dirty," but I'm not going to get too worked up about it. He did what was best for him and he showed his true colors when it counted.

There is no doubt Sark is trying to pay for those recruits. And Tosh knows it. He went for the short term money and it will wind up biting him in the ass at some point. He doesn't even realize that money isn't even life changing.

But whatever, that's on him. I'll hope for the best come LOI day, but expect the worst. That's the life of a Cal fan way too many times. Until it's not. I thought the same way as a SF Giant fan.

It's crap like this (and 2004) and the endless list of near misses that will make it that much sweeter when it does happen.

I can tell you this as a lifelong 9er fan. Even if they win the SB this year (which would be amazing), no way it's like the '81 season when the 9ers won the SB for the first time. I didn't even have to wait that long as a fan.

I can only imagine how glorious it will be when Cal makes and wins the RB. It will happen and it will make all this pain and suffering worth it. And the players (and coaches and AD) that bring us that RB will be immortalized by every Cal fan. You can count on it.

My question to the recruits (now and in the future), do you want a shot at that immortality?
Agree with you 100%
  (#51) Old
Loyal Bear

01-17-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Did you OD on the Zoloft?

j/k...thats a pretty solid perspective you have. Unfortunately, I don't think one hypothetical rose bowl appearance could possibly offset all the years (for older alums, decades) of disappointment. Or maybe that's just me.
  (#52) Old
no bear

01-17-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessMilesMoreTedford View Post
Ed Orgeron does fine, and he's as big a douchenozzle as there is in the biz.

People forget when it comes to the top recruits, it's all about telling them what they want to hear, and telling their parents what they want to hear. Past history doesn't mean as much as do the same four things: Playing time, getting to the NFL, bona fide credentials, and personable relations.

Tosh has all those four things. We'll see what he can do to recruit up there. Cal needs to find a good recruiter who can do the same things he did.
LessMiles: I agree with you to a certain extent. What got Tosh to the top in the recruiting business largely remains with him. Except for one big thing. He is now another Ed Orgeron. Orgeron's reputation precedes him wherever he goes, and both recruits and their parents know that reputation. That makes it a bit harder for Ed to sell his BS. Tosh will find that out rather quickly.
  (#53) Old
Real Bear

And, RB Glory...is the one thing you can take with you... - 01-17-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Dialogue from the movie: They Died with their boots on (1941)

George Armstrong Custer: "You may be right about money, Sharp; quite right. But there's one thing to be said for glory. "

Ned Sharp: "Yeah? What's that? "

George Armstrong Custer: "You can take glory with you when it's your time to go."

(#54) Old
Active Bear

01-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBarn View Post
a strong head coach right now would do much to assuage the panic. I'm afraid that many fear we could lose not just assistants, but potential great recruits if things don't settle down quickly.....
To me two things that to me suck the most about this (aside from Darth Lupoi's immediate assault on the temple):

1) Tedford is nowhere to be found. I get the time crunch that damage control entails—but a few minutes with a key national reporter somewhere would help more than hurt.

2) You just know Cal PR won't be able to get this story out there, whereas Oregon/Nike PR assaulted the media with injurygate and made it national news for a week in the middle of a season.

... If Tosh is now our enemy we should take the legs out of his career/reputation with prejudice. The chance to get into the national news cycle window is dwindling... I know this stuff is not Tedford's style. Sigh.

Last edited by 95bears; 01-18-2012 at 02:14 AM.
  (#55) Old
no bear

01-17-2012, 07:56 PM

Alarsuel: I appreciate your providing that information. If accurate (and I assume it is), it makes JT look better and Lupoi look worse. But I am finding it difficult to give JT a complete free pass on this one.

It bothers me that Lupoi apparently spent two plus years making the same salary ($164,000, which I would guess is a bit low compared to assistant pay at other BCS schools). Given human nature, it would hardly be surprising if he felt he was not being commensurately rewarded for his good work, and that he was doing a slow burn. (If he was willing to screw JT and Cal like he did, Lupoi was obviously pissed by the time he left.) I would love to know what, if anything, JT was doing during those two plus years to ensure that Tosh remained fully committed to Cal. Sandy (and maybe even Birgeneau) share some of the blame here, but it seems to me that one of a head coach's most important duties is the "care and feeding" of his coaching staff. If he intends to rely on those coaches, he has to know them well, and have a good handle on their attitude, motivation, and objectives.

Did Lupoi not get ANY raises during the two year period when he was putting up amazing recruiting results? Perhaps that is the case, and perhaps that is due to the freeze on pay that UC's non-union, non-faculty employees were subject to. That seems to describe football coaches such as Lupoi. If your star recruiter was achieving fantastic results yet was required to labor away for the same pay for two consecutive years, wouldn't you get just a little nervous about his state of mind? Wouldn't you be asking questions, and possibly trying to give reassurances to that recruiter?

We may never get the real story on this, but I simply believe that a good head coach would have a better handle on things than JT did, at least good enough to forestall the kind of carpetbombing that Lupoi seemed intent on committing as part of his departure. Maybe Lupoi agreed to screw Cal in exchange for his Husky payday, but I think it is more likely that he harbored some resentment, and that is what induced him to twist the knife a bit after inserting it in JT's back.

Last edited by LafayetteBear; 01-17-2012 at 07:59 PM.
  (#56) Old
Golden Bear

01-17-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlebear02 View Post
Someone send this to Ted Miller. Tosh needs to get exposed.
Miller reads here. If MB corroborates it... I'd be surprised if Miller doesn't give us a blubrb on it
  (#57) Old
Loyal Bear

01-17-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LafayetteBear View Post
Maybe Lupoi agreed to screw Cal in exchange for his Husky payday, but I think it is more likely that he harbored some resentment, and that is what induced him to twist the knife a bit after inserting it in JT's back.
Both things can be equally true, it isn't either or. Maybe he agreed to leave because of the payday, but decided to throw in a little f you on the way out because he was pissed, be it a perceived lack of pay, perceived lack of credit, injurygate, whatever.
  (#58) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

01-17-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bears View Post
To me two things that to me suck the most about this (aside from Darth Lupoi's immediate assault on the temple):
Great analogy!

LINK
  (#59) Old
Loyal Bear

01-17-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liBEARtyre04 View Post
Aaron, I've met you and I trust what you say. This is disgusting. I'm sorry guys, I know teddy ain't perfect, but Tosh gets no love for me. The only time I want him to step on campus is to receive his bi-yearly asskicking
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoozerBear View Post
Thanks for sharing this. Its hard to believe how Cal's success in recruiting, and the overall positive momentum, was disassembled by UW overnight. No doubt To$h sold out, but there is a degree of incompetence (or inability) exhibited by people at the top.
No, it's not incompetence; it's called trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequila4kapp View Post
Come on DO, I know you hate JT but get real.

To$h didn't come to the table saying 'I want the most money, match it or I'm gone.' He came with the 'my heart is here' speech, which is universally understood to mean that a person will stay if their employer matches the offer. JT told him how much he meant then went to bat for him to DOUBLE his salary (not an insignificant bump in compensation ever, much less one year after getting a 25% increase). JT told him he couldn't go to the well again and To$h gave his word that he would not go back to UW to start a bidding war...then he did just that. Then he doesn't show for the recruiting trip, leaving JT in a lurch; then he leaves a voice message; this after he told Shaq the night before that he was thinking about leaving, etc.

If this accounting is accurate - and I know Aaron enough to trust that his sources are exceedingly solid - then To$h's actions are scum. He so easily could have come to JT and said he wanted the payday, was going to take UW's offer but would leave after LOI or leave before LOI but not continue to recruit the same kids. And speaking of that, there's a code here that To$h violated - JT and Cal released him to speak with UW when they didn't have to. The quid pro quo for being granted an opportunity to make more money and leave is that you do it with class. To$h fundamentally violated that trust. **** him.

Put your hatred aside for a moment and recognize this for what it is - To$h ass raped us, no condom, no beer, no goodbye.

Order of anger:
1. To$h
2. Sark
3. Sandy / Administration (not having the ability/willingness to pay what it takes to keep top talent)

That's it. JT doesn't make the list.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1027 View Post
This accounting lines up with the fact that Tedford and Coach Thompson had Lupoi doing an in-home visit for Cal the night before he switched. No way Tedford and Coach Thompson have a potential UW coach do an in-home visit with a recruit who had UW in his top 3. If reports were swirling that UW was going hard after Tosh, Tedford and Coach Thompson had to be sure that Tosh was all Cal before sending him to see Shaq.

If it did go down this way, it's disappointing to see him be so deceitful. No matter how it went down, it was disappointing to hear that he reached out to recruit Shaq to UW before telling his DL players at Cal that he was leaving.
Perhaps we should add "Lupoi'd" to our Bear Insider lexicon, meaning to breach trust, sell out, and act in an unethical manner all in exchange for the big payday.
  (#60) Old
Real Bear

01-17-2012, 08:10 PM

Really? Sandy admin #3? One would have to really be divorced from reality if you think now is the time in this state to more than double the pay of an assistant coach to more than 10x the salary of a teacher and more than the chancelor who is already criticized for being overpaid and when you are akso stuck overpaying the head coach.

UOTE=tequila4kapp;682090]Come on DO, I know you hate JT but get real.

To$h didn't come to the table saying 'I want the most money, match it or I'm gone.' He came with the 'my heart is here' speech, which is universally understood to mean that a person will stay if their employer matches the offer. JT told him how much he meant then went to bat for him to DOUBLE his salary (not an insignificant bump in compensation ever, much less one year after getting a 25% increase). JT told him he couldn't go to the well again and To$h gave his word that he would not go back to UW to start a bidding war...then he did just that. Then he doesn't show for the recruiting trip, leaving JT in a lurch; then he leaves a voice message; this after he told Shaq the night before that he was thinking about leaving, etc.

If this accounting is accurate - and I know Aaron enough to trust that his sources are exceedingly solid - then To$h's actions are scum. He so easily could have come to JT and said he wanted the payday, was going to take UW's offer but would leave after LOI or leave before LOI but not continue to recruit the same kids. And speaking of that, there's a code here that To$h violated - JT and Cal released him to speak with UW when they didn't have to. The quid pro quo for being granted an opportunity to make more money and leave is that you do it with class. To$h fundamentally violated that trust. **** him.

Put your hatred aside for a moment and recognize this for what it is - To$h ass raped us, no condom, no beer, no goodbye.

Order of anger:
1. To$h
2. Sark
3. Sandy / Administration (not having the ability/willingness to pay what it takes to keep top talent)

That's it. JT doesn't make the list.[/quote]