Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page OT: Steve Jobs photo
Notices

(#31) Old
Loyal Bear

08-27-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiniCal View Post
Not a biggie, but ya might wanna pay a tad more attention replying to the post you meant to?

#StuffHappens #GoBears!
Contrary to what you apparently believe, I replied directly to the post I intended, the one by tommie317 in which he attempted to equate KAB's good wishes to a right wing Islamic (so-called fundamentalist) attempting to impose his views on a dying man:
Quote:
...I will check in with you daily and we can review how the Koran teaches us to think spiritually, etc. Make sure your islamic spiritual thinking is in order...
  (#32) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

08-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie317 View Post
Basically it means, "damn I hope you've been a proper Christian otherwise you'll go to hell soon. Maybe he should cram in as much spiritual time as he can right now just in case". It's a bit insulting especially if he's non-Christian. As a
Non- religious person I would be insulted if someone said that to me. Of course, as a practicing christian you may be a bit naive in your backhand insults but it's something non believers had to suck it up and deal with all the time. Whether he has it in order or not Purposely or otherwise is their own business and they don't need to be told they are "going to hell" otherwise.

You clearly go through life looking for insult and then act like it is some injustice that you found it. Of course someone looking to be insulted will be insulted.
  (#33) Old
Loyal Bear

08-27-2011, 10:11 AM

take the religious stuff somewhere else......it always leads to bickering.
  (#34) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

08-27-2011, 10:15 AM

nevermind

Last edited by Phantomfan; 08-27-2011 at 10:25 AM.
  (#35) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

08-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
1. I'm sure Jobs is not KAB's friend so this is not at a personal level. Having KAB saying that I'm sure makes KAB feel that he has done his "duty/necessity" as a Christian to think about his spiritualness but although it seems like an external gesture to a fellow man, it is meant as an internal gratification for KAB.

2. What if I said, I hope you have your spirituality in order and I sincerely hope you praise Allah and that you have eternalized the thinking of the Koran, otherwise you might go to Islamic version of hell or whatever it is. Here you go, here's the koran, I will check in with you daily and we can review how the Koran teaches us to think spiritually, etc. Make sure your islamic spiritual thinking is in order. I will pray to Allah for you and hope he will grant you mercy cuz burning in hell is not as gratifying as having 72 virgins.
Sure I took the concept a bit further but wanted to show a religion to another religion case. Sorry, but it is very narrow-minded and naive to tell someone else that they hope they have their shittu together.
May God have mercy on you
  (#36) Old
Loyal Bear

08-27-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomfan View Post
Holy cow... If there were less people like you in the world, we could have a avoided a LOT of wars (on all sides).

It is very narrow-minded to question another persons belief but to go as far as to say they should not practice their belief in a public forum, and insinuate that it is OK to ridicule and belittle their beliefs? ...
Excellent post, Phantomfan. Tommie317 is probably a great guy but his post reminds me of some of the intolerant complaints about the prayer said prior to the game (debacle) at Tennessee a few years ago. People objected to prayer, ignoring the well-intended content (that the players be safe). Ironically, as I recall, we suffered a critical injury on the opening kickoff.

People with differing religious views should be able to accept good wishes from each other. When people say "God bless you" in response to your sneeze, usually they are not trying to convert you.

P.S. I'm sorry you deleted your post, it was excellent, rational, and to the point.

Last edited by southseasbear; 08-27-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added postscript
  (#37) Old
Loyal Bear

Whatever.. - 08-27-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southseasbear View Post
Contrary to what you apparently believe, I replied directly to the post I intended, the one by tommie317 in which he attempted to equate KAB's good wishes to a right wing Islamic (so-called fundamentalist) attempting to impose his views on a dying man:
.. wouldn't be the first time software messed up. Nor me neither, nope, far from it.

One thing you might wanna do just for giggles is go back to the first post of this thread, look for a drop bar on the far upper right shown as "Display Modes", as an experiment select "Hybrid Mode", and see what's what then.

I hard select Hybrid mode in the account profile. Others go their own way.

Good Luck Southseasbear!

#GoBears

PS: Seems to me, just between us now, Tommie is playing a Troll game.. and most always bags his limit of responders. YMMV.

Wonderflonium: Do NOT Bounce.

Last edited by SiniCal; 08-27-2011 at 10:33 AM.
  (#38) Old
Loyal Bear

08-27-2011, 10:34 AM

Sini,

With Linear Mode I can see all the posts I haven't yet read together in one place. Hybrid [though I like the concept in a car ] intersperses them throughout the thread, making it all too confusing for this Old Blue.
  (#39) Old
Loyal Bear

Alrighty then, go w/Oski my friend. - 08-27-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Sini,

With Linear Mode I can see all the posts I haven't yet read together in one place. Hybrid -- though I like the concept in a car -- intersperses them throughout the thread, making it all too confusing for this Old Blue.
What works for you SSB, great, just thought a temporary peek at this thread in Hybrid mode might shine a light at context.

#FiatLux!

Wonderflonium: Do NOT Bounce.
  (#40) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

08-27-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomfan View Post
It is very narrow-minded to question another persons belief but to go as far as to say they should not practice their belief in a public forum, [emphasis in the original] and insinuate that it is OK to ridicule and belittle their beliefs? Honestly, you sound as bigoted as some of the worst people in history.
Yup, the worst bigots in history. That's no exaggeration. Nope. (I like the narrow skirting of Godwin's Law.. )
Quote:
To even TRY to censor KAB religious views smacks of the worst part of human nature. You might not know it, but your intolerant views flow nicely with some of the most extreme groups in the world and throughout history. THAT insults me to a very high degree and in a very basic way.
Telling someone they shouldn't have written something is not trying to censor them. Period.

Quote:
(In case you are unaware, The difference between me attacking you, and you attacking KAB is that you attacked his beliefs and his right to say them publicly. I am attacking your right to ATTEMPT to censor a person in our community because of his race, religion or creed.)
lol.. if anyone were trying to censor anyone's words you might be able to argue that you're not a hypocrite. his "right to say them publicly"? maybe you mean to reply to a different post, but tommie317 clearly said nothing of the sort.

I don't have a problem with KAB's original post -- for me, it was a subtle way of saying that Jobs' time is running out -- but the idea that he's being criticized for practicing his religion in public is a little tricky. It's like the legal saying, "your right to swing your fist ends at my face." Everyone is free to have their own beliefs and practice them in public; in fact, I like it, I find it interesting and illuminating to read. Projecting those beliefs on others, though, gets away from the idea of "your own" beliefs and "your own" practice. I say it's tricky because many religions encourage proselytizing, so perhaps this can be considered part of "practicing". Personally I'd be reluctant to wish that a famously Buddhist person did what it takes to get into a Christian heaven, but that's just me. (I was thinking that KAB's post could generally apply to Nirvana, but he did mention heaven in his clarifying post.)

Last edited by BearyWhite; 08-27-2011 at 11:00 AM.
  (#41) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

08-27-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
Of course that's what you meant, KAB; and the majority of us understand that. But anytime heaven, hell or the afterlife is brought up, there's no way that somebody won't be offended, and won't blast whoever has the gall to mention it.
Seeing things in black and white is good. When you can think in absolutes you're better equipped to flush out desire from your life. Things are looking good for you in the quest to break the reincarnation cycle and attain the glory of Nirvana the next time you reach that crossroads.
  (#42) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

08-27-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
People with differing religious views should be able to accept good wishes from each other. When people say "God bless you" in response to your sneeze, usually they are not trying to convert you.
And you see telling a (presumably) terminally ill person that you hope he's done what it takes to get into heaven as which one? More like the sneezing thing?
  (#43) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

08-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
1. I'm sure Jobs is not KAB's friend so this is not at a personal level. Having KAB saying that I'm sure makes KAB feel that he has done his "duty/necessity" as a Christian to think about his spiritualness but although it seems like an external gesture to a fellow man, it is meant as an internal gratification for KAB.

2. What if I said, I hope you have your spirituality in order and I sincerely hope you praise Allah and that you have eternalized the thinking of the Koran, otherwise you might go to Islamic version of hell or whatever it is. Here you go, here's the koran, I will check in with you daily and we can review how the Koran teaches us to think spiritually, etc. Make sure your islamic spiritual thinking is in order. I will pray to Allah for you and hope he will grant you mercy cuz burning in hell is not as gratifying as having 72 virgins.
Sure I took the concept a bit further but wanted to show a religion to another religion case. Sorry, but it is very narrow-minded and naive to tell someone else that they hope they have their shittu together.
Judgment of judgment is judgment.

(And yes I realize, judgment of judgment of judgment is judgment).

Peace everybody

Last edited by calumnus; 08-27-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: CalBear68 caught what spellcheck didn't
  (#44) Old
Golden Bear

08-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
Judgement of judgement is judgement.

(And yes I realize, judgement of judgement of judgement is judgement).

Peace everybody
Actually, I prefer "judgment", much like I prefer "Bridgford".
  (#45) Old
Loyal Bear

08-27-2011, 11:37 AM

I agree with td43. Better to screen out most of the religious sentiment and political sentiment. This forum is meant to discuss and sometimes argue about sports, not to debate the relative merits of Christianity vs. atheism or Obama's policies versus the Tea Party's. That never turns out well.

I was proud of my 14 year old son. He saw me looking at that picture and he said there is no way that some gossip site should have published it. When someone like Kim Kardashian, who got famous through a sex tape or stupid reality TV show, has her privacy compromised by these scumbag tabloid photographers I don't really care but Jobs is entitled to some privacy.