Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page OT: Who got creamed in the market these past 2 weeks?
Notices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#106) Old
Brainsmile Brainsmile is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,202
Join Date: Jul 2008
08-07-2011, 03:08 PM

Futures are down 272

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/a9ab9
Reply With Quote
  (#107) Old
Cal89 Cal89 is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Cal89's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,119
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Bay Area
08-07-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainsmile View Post
With the DOW just 30 stocks, it's not always the best indicator of the overall mkt, but it works too. 11,010 or so would be comparable support in that same time range (mid / late Nov 2010).

Watching a 3 min chart of the ES and it has been ticking up gradually, now at 1173. Can't say I'm watching though. I'm putting up a 24' x 12 patio shelter now and when I come down the ladder, I check the laptop.

I found a Cal bottle opener to go on the center 4x6 post! And it works


The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!

Last edited by Cal89; 08-07-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  (#108) Old
Brainsmile Brainsmile is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,202
Join Date: Jul 2008
08-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal89 View Post
With the DOW just 30 stocks, it's not always the best indicator of the overall mkt, but it works too. 11,010 or so would be comparable support in that same time range (mid / late Nov 2010).

Watching a 3 min chart of the ES and it has been ticking up gradually, now at 1173. Can't say I'm watching though. I'm putting up a 24' x 12 patio shelter now and when I come down the ladder, I check the laptop.

I found a Cal bottle opener to go on the center 4x6 post! And it works
Please clarify ES?
Reply With Quote
  (#109) Old
Cal89 Cal89 is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Cal89's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,119
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Bay Area
08-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainsmile View Post
Please clarify ES?
This is the emini futures contract for the S&P500. Not sure who your broker is, but try putting "'/ES" onto your charting program.

I attach a 5 min chart of the ES from ToS (ThinkorSwim).
Attached Images
File Type: png 8-7-2011 7-42-36 PM.png (33.6 KB, 20 views)


The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!

Last edited by Cal89; 08-08-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  (#110) Old
Brainsmile Brainsmile is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,202
Join Date: Jul 2008
08-07-2011, 07:50 PM

I have scottrade and that symbol didn't work. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  (#111) Old
Cal89 Cal89 is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Cal89's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,119
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Bay Area
08-07-2011, 08:40 PM

I've been Googling for you, and it's possible that Scottrade does not do futures. I just checked their website, and it appears that they do not. Up to you, but ToS allows, or at least used to, a free paper account. Maybe with that you'd be able to get that info, plus you'll quickly see why it's a favorite of option traders...


The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!
Reply With Quote
  (#112) Old
Brainsmile Brainsmile is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,202
Join Date: Jul 2008
08-08-2011, 09:40 AM

Down another 400
Reply With Quote
  (#113) Old
OzoneTheCat OzoneTheCat is offline
Real Bear
 
OzoneTheCat's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,379
Join Date: Jul 2008
08-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Here's where the fun begins.
Reply With Quote
  (#114) Old
Holmoephobic Holmoephobic is online now
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 2,535
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: East Bay
08-08-2011, 09:55 AM

Time to sell that gold and buy back the innocent bystanders that have been getting killed based on fear/speculation alone. U.S. Steel at 30? Don't mind if I do!
Reply With Quote
  (#115) Old
Cal89 Cal89 is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Cal89's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,119
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Bay Area
08-08-2011, 10:31 AM

Well, here we are at the next possible support level I had mentioned previously. I just added to my SPY position at 112.66. Plenty more dry powder should this thing continue down. Next stops, 104, then 100 on the SPY. Hoping the mid 112's / 113 area holds though...


The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!

Last edited by Cal89; 08-08-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  (#116) Old
Brainsmile Brainsmile is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,202
Join Date: Jul 2008
08-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal89 View Post
Well, here we are at the next possible support level I had mentioned previously. I just added to my SPY position at 112.66. Plenty more dry powder should this thing continue down. Next stops, 104, then 100 on the SPY. Hoping the mid 112's / 113 area holds though...
I didn't think we'd be here this fast. Did you see the market drop when the president started his speech?


NO POLITICAL STUFF PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  (#117) Old
Cal89 Cal89 is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Cal89's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,119
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Bay Area
08-08-2011, 10:49 AM

I was actually driving into work and heard part of the speech. Once in the office, I pulled-up a chart, and there we were. At this point, I like the nice push off the support. Let's see what happens from here though...

That said, I'm making money on the SPY purchase and FCX earlier at 41 and change, by selling calls that expire this Friday, the 12th. For FCX, it's the 45 call, so it would be a quick 10% profit (41 to 45), plus the money collected on the sale of the calls...

And if not, I'll gladly keep these and other positions until this shake-out is complete.


The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!
Reply With Quote
  (#118) Old
Brainsmile Brainsmile is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 1,202
Join Date: Jul 2008
08-08-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal89 View Post
I was actually driving into work and heard part of the speech. Once in the office, I pulled-up a chart, and there we were. At this point, I like the nice push off the support. Let's see what happens from here though...

That said, I'm making money on the SPY purchase and FCX earlier at 41 and change, by selling calls that expire this Friday, the 12th. For FCX, it's the 45 call, so it would be a quick 10% profit (41 to 45), plus the money collected on the sale of the calls...

And if not, I'll gladly keep these and other positions until this shake-out is complete.
I think we'll get some last hour buying.
Reply With Quote
  (#119) Old
Cal89 Cal89 is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Cal89's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,119
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Bay Area
08-08-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainsmile View Post
I think we'll get some last hour buying.
The bulls and bears will be at it, I'm sure.

As of now, it's looking pretty good. Here's what I'd like to see when today is done to make me feel like a bottom might be in:

1. Volume. It has been high in recent trading days, increasing day after day. I want that to continue today as well. At this point, it seems like it will be close.

2. Bounce nicely off a resistance level. That happened, thus far (1125 for the SP500 or about 112 on the SPY).

3. Ideally close at or near the day's highs, around 117 on the SPY.
++++

If we revisit and close at the day's lows, or below, all long bets are off, for me at least.


The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!
Reply With Quote
  (#120) Old
RJABear RJABear is offline
Real Bear
 
RJABear's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,603
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Napa, CA
08-08-2011, 11:21 AM

The question - Who got creamed - is past tense. I am still getting creamed today.

Oh well, who really wants to retire early ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Ad Management by RedTyger