Chat Room [5]
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page ASU Game thread
Notices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#166) Old
BerlinerBaer BerlinerBaer is offline
Loyal Bear
 
BerlinerBaer's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,768
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Berkeley
10-23-2010, 02:49 PM

DAY-UUUHMMM! Costanzo layin the wood!
Reply With Quote
  (#167) Old
KoreAmBear KoreAmBear is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
KoreAmBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 22,090
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
10-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpbear View Post
You can't be serious. You expect him to basically give away the ball?
No, try to stick with me. You ask a guy how has no experience to only try and make a desperation play on 3rd and 21 (as opposed to get some rhythm maybe throwing a short pass on 2nd down or something), a guy is going to try and make a play, stupid or not. If you're gonna throw Mansion or Sweeney in there, make it meaningful for them. I see that we got no use out of putting in Mansion today. Another opportunity wasted.
Reply With Quote
  (#168) Old
atticus atticus is offline
Real Bear
 
atticus's Avatar
 
Posts: 620
Join Date: Jun 2010
10-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinerBaer View Post
it's ok. those guys are 2nd/3rd stringers. just sayin'
And now we know why.

I guess tedford finally decided to show us why Riley remains the starting QB
Reply With Quote
  (#169) Old
mvargus mvargus is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 2,444
Join Date: Jul 2008
10-23-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
Come on, let Mansion have a chance at a reasonable passing play instead of waiting for third and long.
I don't know why Tedford bothered putting in the backup QB. Sure he can claim playing time, but for a QB to really learn the offense he has to run the passing plays, and Tedford in his infinite idiocy refuses to allow his backups to run the passing game if he puts them in during garbage time. First he waits far to long before putting them in, and then he hamstrings their development once they are in.

Horrible coaching from a man who I'm increasingly convinced should not be the head coach.
Reply With Quote
  (#170) Old
elpbear elpbear is online now
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 4,778
Join Date: Jul 2008
10-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
No, try to stick with me. You ask a guy how has no experience to only try and make a desperation play on 3rd and 21 (as opposed to get some rhythm maybe throwing a short pass on 2nd down or something), a guy is going to try and make a play, stupid or not. If you're gonna throw Mansion or Sweeney in there, make it meaningful for them. I see that we got no use out of putting in Mansion today. Another opportunity wasted.
It WAS meaningful. Quarterbacks sometimes have to face 3rd and long. (We often do, when we are in our "get blown out" mode). I didn't mind him pulling down the ball and running, although it was a little Sweeny-esque for me. But the giving away of the ball was pathetic.

I get what you're saying about rhythm. But you're not going to get that up 50-10.
Reply With Quote
  (#171) Old
mvargus mvargus is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 2,444
Join Date: Jul 2008
10-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
No, try to stick with me. You ask a guy how has no experience to only try and make a desperation play on 3rd and 21 (as opposed to get some rhythm maybe throwing a short pass on 2nd down or something), a guy is going to try and make a play, stupid or not. If you're gonna throw Mansion or Sweeney in there, make it meaningful for them. I see that we got no use out of putting in Mansion today. Another opportunity wasted.
Another sign that Tedford is a very bad coach. A good coach would understand that the backups need to run the full offense and not just hand off.
Reply With Quote
  (#172) Old
elpbear elpbear is online now
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 4,778
Join Date: Jul 2008
10-23-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvargus View Post
Another sign that Tedford is a very bad coach. A good coach would understand that the backups need to run the full offense and not just hand off.
LOL, he was running the full offense. Hand off on 1st down, check. Hand off on 2nd down, check. Pass on 3rd and long, check.

Okay, we do other stuff too, but that's definitely in the playbook -- we saw it today. You have to take care of the ball.

[EDIT] Also, us getting absolutely destroyed by USC last week and destroying ASU this week is a much bigger sign of a bad coach, than having Mansion run a vanilla offense up 50-10 in a blowout win.
Reply With Quote
  (#173) Old
atticus atticus is offline
Real Bear
 
atticus's Avatar
 
Posts: 620
Join Date: Jun 2010
10-23-2010, 02:56 PM

This is silly. No good coach is going to start chucking the ball up 50-10 with a backup QB in the fourth.

Think about what you guys are saying.
Reply With Quote
  (#174) Old
KoreAmBear KoreAmBear is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
KoreAmBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 22,090
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
10-23-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus View Post
This is silly. No good coach is going to start chucking the ball up 50-10 with a backup QB in the fourth.

Think about what you guys are saying.
You don't need to chuck it up. Look at what Mustain did last week. Just a couple of hitches or something on 2nd or 3rd down. Not hand off to Covaughn 1st and 2nd down and then try and throw on third and forever.
Reply With Quote
  (#175) Old
BerlinerBaer BerlinerBaer is offline
Loyal Bear
 
BerlinerBaer's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,768
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Berkeley
10-23-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvargus View Post
I don't know why Tedford bothered putting in the backup QB. Sure he can claim playing time, but for a QB to really learn the offense he has to run the passing plays, and Tedford in his infinite idiocy refuses to allow his backups to run the passing game if he puts them in during garbage time. First he waits far to long before putting them in, and then he hamstrings their development once they are in.

Horrible coaching from a man who I'm increasingly convinced should not be the head coach.
jeez louise... JT is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't
Reply With Quote
  (#176) Old
bearster bearster is offline
Active Bear
 
Posts: 412
Join Date: Jul 2008
10-23-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvargus View Post
I don't know why Tedford bothered putting in the backup QB. Sure he can claim playing time, but for a QB to really learn the offense he has to run the passing plays, and Tedford in his infinite idiocy refuses to allow his backups to run the passing game if he puts them in during garbage time. First he waits far to long before putting them in, and then he hamstrings their development once they are in.

Horrible coaching from a man who I'm increasingly convinced should not be the head coach.
LOL you're saying JT should be fired because of how he handled garbage time? WOW! Cal fans really need to get their heads together about the situation. JT isn't perfect and never will be, but you guys seriously underestimate how good of a coach he is. The criticism is getting ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
  (#177) Old
mvargus mvargus is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 2,444
Join Date: Jul 2008
10-23-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinerBaer View Post
jeez louise... JT is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't
With me that's pretty much true. I lost a lot of faith in JT back in 2007 when he kept sending out Longshore. I know enough about football to see that Longshore was hurt and msotly ineffective since he could not properly set his feet to throw, but JT used the BS claim that "Longshore gives us the best chance to win." I'll be honest, there are times when you have to accept a loss and play a healthy player, especially since Longshore's ineffectiveness contributed to the losses against UCLA and 'Zona that year.

Then in 2008 he decided to platoon his QBs and in doing so managed to make both Riley and Longshore into headcases.

He kept Gregory and Alamar around for too long.

And he still has Daft as an assistant despite the fact that the man is not very good.

I see all of that before I get into his play calling and the fact that Cal hasn't managed to get up for an away Pac-10 game in 3 years it seems.

Could he win me back? Not really. About the only thing that would convince me that JT is even an average coach would be for him to get the team to play hard every game and a major change to the offense. Everything I see about the man convinces me that he doesn't have the personality to do that, and after hearing his recent "coachspeak" pronouncements I doubt his insight into coachiing in general.
Reply With Quote
  (#178) Old
mvargus mvargus is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 2,444
Join Date: Jul 2008
10-23-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearster View Post
LOL you're saying JT should be fired because of how he handled garbage time? WOW! Cal fans really need to get their heads together about the situation. JT isn't perfect and never will be, but you guys seriously underestimate how good of a coach he is. The criticism is getting ridiculous.
I consider him the worst coach in the Pac-10 by a clear margin at this piont. Although I'll admit that Neuheisel's recent meltdown after the win at Texas makes me wonder if he's about done as a coach.

And I didn't say he could be fired. He isn't going to be fired anytime soon and I accept that. I just have no expectations that he will show me even the slightest amount of the ability to win a game through good coaching. Cal is going to stumble through the next 5-6 seasons while we ride out the rest of his contract. My one hope is that his contract is not renewed or extended unless the team manages a season where they lose no more than 1 game.
Reply With Quote
  (#179) Old
mvargus mvargus is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 2,444
Join Date: Jul 2008
10-23-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
You don't need to chuck it up. Look at what Mustain did last week. Just a couple of hitches or something on 2nd or 3rd down. Not hand off to Covaughn 1st and 2nd down and then try and throw on third and forever.
+1

This is what I wanted to see from Mansion. Just some simple 3-5 yard patterns to get him used to dropping back and throwing the ball in a game. I'll admit htat playing against the Cal D in practice is probably decent practice, but against a D you don't know teaches so much more.
Reply With Quote
  (#180) Old
xultaif xultaif is offline
Golden Bear
 
Posts: 6,739
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nowhere, Inparticular
Thanks for posting this - 10-23-2010, 03:54 PM

And at least being honest. I think you're being a complete tool, but at least you're honest. We win FIFTY(!!!!!!!!) to 17. Total domination of game. And you come on and use this as evidence that Tedford is a bad coach.

I want to make sure I capture this because I'll pull it out for future reference when you post.

Tedford is going to be our coach for a while, probably a long while. If your intent is to be dyck and try and ruin the glow of a win for those of us who actually enjoy CAL football, you should get a life. Seriously, it's a pathetic MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvargus View Post
With me that's pretty much true. I lost a lot of faith in JT back in 2007 when he kept sending out Longshore. I know enough about football to see that Longshore was hurt and msotly ineffective since he could not properly set his feet to throw, but JT used the BS claim that "Longshore gives us the best chance to win." I'll be honest, there are times when you have to accept a loss and play a healthy player, especially since Longshore's ineffectiveness contributed to the losses against UCLA and 'Zona that year.

Then in 2008 he decided to platoon his QBs and in doing so managed to make both Riley and Longshore into headcases.

He kept Gregory and Alamar around for too long.

And he still has Daft as an assistant despite the fact that the man is not very good.

I see all of that before I get into his play calling and the fact that Cal hasn't managed to get up for an away Pac-10 game in 3 years it seems.

Could he win me back? Not really. About the only thing that would convince me that JT is even an average coach would be for him to get the team to play hard every game and a major change to the offense. Everything I see about the man convinces me that he doesn't have the personality to do that, and after hearing his recent "coachspeak" pronouncements I doubt his insight into coachiing in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvargus View Post
I consider him the worst coach in the Pac-10 by a clear margin at this piont. Although I'll admit that Neuheisel's recent meltdown after the win at Texas makes me wonder if he's about done as a coach.

And I didn't say he could be fired. He isn't going to be fired anytime soon and I accept that. I just have no expectations that he will show me even the slightest amount of the ability to win a game through good coaching. Cal is going to stumble through the next 5-6 seasons while we ride out the rest of his contract. My one hope is that his contract is not renewed or extended unless the team manages a season where they lose no more than 1 game.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Ad Management by RedTyger