Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page $C Board on their own recruiting
Notices

(#1) Old
Real Bear

$C Board on their own recruiting - 10-12-2010, 02:49 PM

A thread highlighting the lack of four and five star recruits for $C this year. A debate between trojans whether stars indicate talent.

http://wearesc.com/forums/showthread...ar#post1701735

Funny - no trojan poster says - the best players dont want to go to schools on probation and spend their entire career on an under-manned roster and a team that is banned from bowls.
  (#2) Old
Loyal Bear

10-12-2010, 02:52 PM

I read that earlier, and had to chuckle at that their apparent disregard for the SNACTIONS. For a fanbase that touts its own football acumen, they were decidedly slow in this occasion. GO BEARS!
  (#3) Old
Real Bear

10-12-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJABear View Post
Funny - no trojan poster says - the best players dont want to go to schools on probation and spend their entire career on an under-manned roster and a team that is banned from bowls.
This is silly - properly sold, the sanctions are a recruiting advantage.

Off the top of the head, here's what a new top recruit gets from SC:
Immediate starting. At other schools most recruits redshirt.
Lots of playing time. Even if they don't redshirt few freshmen get significant playing time.
Playing in a bowl in their soph year as a soph. (if they make a bowl - likely, since bowls are so watered down.)
Being a leader on the team when the swarm of 5stars arrive in your junior year.
  (#4) Old
Real Bear

10-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJABear View Post
A thread highlighting the lack of four and five star recruits for $C this year. A debate between trojans whether stars indicate talent.

http://wearesc.com/forums/showthread...ar#post1701735

It's not just about having the most 5*s. It is about developing the talent, recruiting the big uglies, and recruiting for need. Having 10 5* running backs isn't the way to success. I personally would rely on our coaches' and even the SC coaches' assessment before I trust the idiots at Scout.
  (#5) Old
Real Bear

10-12-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear93 View Post
It's not just about having the most 5*s. It is about developing the talent, recruiting the big uglies, and recruiting for need. Having 10 5* running backs isn't the way to success. I personally would rely on our coaches' and even the SC coaches' assessment before I trust the idiots at Scout.
I generally agree. We have made those arguments on these same boards for years. The Bear Insider has seen many posts about two star recruits who turned into great players. People like Alex Mack, however, are the exception rather than the rule. Stars are a good sense of oveall size, speed, and HS stats. All other things being equal, a roster of 4* and 5* players will be favored over a roster of 2* players.

I did not see those same arguments being made on the $C boards between 2003 and 2008. In my opinion, it is another sign of the sanctions taking hold.