Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Cal recruiting 2010 SG Ben Brust
Notices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#16) Old
bluesaxe bluesaxe is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 2,907
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-16-2010, 08:25 AM

The only thing I've seen regarding Bak said he would be on the team next season.

If we're looking at a guard, it ought to be a PG imo, not another SG.
Reply With Quote
  (#17) Old
Civil Bear Civil Bear is offline
Golden Bear
 
Civil Bear's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,311
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-16-2010, 01:46 PM

Yup, a pg that could start from day 1 and move Jorge to the 2 and Crabbe to the 3 is our highest priority right now, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  (#18) Old
KoreAmBear KoreAmBear is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
KoreAmBear's Avatar
 
Posts: 22,101
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere along the Ko`olau Summit Trail
04-16-2010, 02:30 PM

Now that Williams is off the list, anyone have any idea who we're targeting as a turn-key PG?
Reply With Quote
  (#19) Old
Big C_Cal Big C_Cal is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 3,451
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area
Another PM... - 04-16-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
Yup, a pg that could start from day 1 and move Jorge to the 2 and Crabbe to the 3 is our highest priority right now, IMO.
The second coming of Prentice McGruder would fit the bill, indeed.

If players were trees, perhaps we could graft Brandon Smith's arm to Gary Franklin and have a true point guard!
Reply With Quote
  (#20) Old
calumnus calumnus is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 12,119
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-16-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
The second coming of Prentice McGruder would fit the bill, indeed.

If players were trees, perhaps we could graft Brandon Smith's arm to Gary Franklin and have a true point guard!
Three arms? I thought they only did that for an advantage in ski-boxing?

Reply With Quote
  (#21) Old
puget sound cal fan puget sound cal fan is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 10,660
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-16-2010, 10:02 PM

Brust put-up some impressive numbers. However, he's not a tall post, with bulk and strength to score, defend and rebound. Neither is Brust a magician PG, who can score from the perimeter. With Rossi, Franklin and Crabbe entering this Fall, I say pass on Brust.
Reply With Quote
  (#22) Old
tsubamoto2001 tsubamoto2001 is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 3,187
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-17-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puget sound cal fan View Post
Brust put-up some impressive numbers. However, he's not a tall post, with bulk and strength to score, defend and rebound. Neither is Brust a magician PG, who can score from the perimeter. With Rossi, Franklin and Crabbe entering this Fall, I say pass on Brust.
Scouting reports say Brust can score. He's also an elite shooter with deep range. The question is whether or not he can play the point. If he can, I'd take him. I've never seen the kid play, so I can't answer that question. Maybe he can be the next Jimmer Fredette, who a lot of scouts projected at the 2 as well coming out of HS.
Reply With Quote
  (#23) Old
calumnus calumnus is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 12,119
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puget sound cal fan View Post
Brust put-up some impressive numbers. However, he's not a tall post, with bulk and strength to score, defend and rebound. Neither is Brust a magician PG, who can score from the perimeter. With Rossi, Franklin and Crabbe entering this Fall, I say pass on Brust.
Agreed, we already have a number of players at the position he plays, including three freshmen. We should save the scholie for an impact player at another position.
Reply With Quote
  (#24) Old
oskihasahearton oskihasahearton is offline
Loyal Bear
 
oskihasahearton's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,044
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: By the edge where the trees meet the sea.
04-17-2010, 11:51 AM

Maybe Coach Monty is going to install the "40-minutes of Hell" style of Missou's Coach Anderson---soon to be a Duck. The "40_" utilizes 3 guards.


"I cannot be certain of the answer in that regard." -PdS __
Reply With Quote
  (#25) Old
SFBearz SFBearz is offline
Real Bear
 
Posts: 2,177
Join Date: Oct 2008
04-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
Scouting reports say Brust can score. He's also an elite shooter with deep range. The question is whether or not he can play the point. If he can, I'd take him. I've never seen the kid play, so I can't answer that question. Maybe he can be the next Jimmer Fredette, who a lot of scouts projected at the 2 as well coming out of HS.
Video on him suggests he is less of a point guard than Franklin but can play some point. The offer and home visit to me suggests Monty is comfortable with Franklin, Jorge, and Smith for next year at the point. While I wonder about this I also wonder what Brust can do that doesn't duplicate the skills of Franklin, Rossi, and Crabbe. This seems to be a strange offer all the way around....
Reply With Quote
  (#26) Old
GB54 GB54 is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
GB54's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,831
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-17-2010, 02:52 PM

If he's truly an elite player take him and worry about redundancy later.
Reply With Quote
  (#27) Old
tsubamoto2001 tsubamoto2001 is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 3,187
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-17-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
Video on him suggests he is less of a point guard than Franklin but can play some point. The offer and home visit to me suggests Monty is comfortable with Franklin, Jorge, and Smith for next year at the point. While I wonder about this I also wonder what Brust can do that doesn't duplicate the skills of Franklin, Rossi, and Crabbe. This seems to be a strange offer all the way around....
You can't tell stuff like that off a highlight video, but I don't think Franklin is much of a point from seeing him live on numerous occasions. Can't comment on Brust since I haven't seen him, but Monty obviously feels he can help.
Reply With Quote
  (#28) Old
OaktownBear OaktownBear is offline
True Blue Golden Bear
 
Posts: 9,608
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-17-2010, 07:30 PM

Honestly, I don't think it says anything other than Monty sees the guy as another quality player we can bring in this year. I think in the college game, especially for a team like Cal, especially for a team like Cal in a year where the roster is missing bodies, you bring in quality players and let the coaches assign the roles. To me the question is whether we can bring in a better player with the last schollie next season and, if so, would that player be better enough to offset the need right now.

Given the fact that we don't have any scoring coming back and, in fact, its dubious that we have anyone that will ever develop into a really good scorer even over their career (I think Jorge can be pretty good, maybe Kamp too, but none really very good), bringing in four guys with the descriptions we've seen of Rossie, Crabbe, and Franklin doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. It would be nice to get some inside scoring, but you have to take what you can get.
Reply With Quote
  (#29) Old
The Bearon The Bearon is offline
New Bear
 
The Bearon's Avatar
 
Posts: 91
Join Date: Oct 2009
04-17-2010, 07:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-wvqsHmiv4

link to a highlight vid of Brust
Reply With Quote
  (#30) Old
GBMARIN GBMARIN is offline
Loyal Bear
 
Posts: 3,666
Join Date: Jul 2008
04-17-2010, 09:12 PM

OK. He made a couple of Randl-esque threes there.
Hustling, scrappy guard. Looks definitely like a Monty type of guy.
If he played for Stanford, we'd all hate him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Ad Management by RedTyger