Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Football
Reload this Page Tedford: Gregory's exit surprised me -- he wasn't pushed!
Notices

(#1) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

Tedford: Gregory's exit surprised me -- he wasn't pushed! - 04-13-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
“He wanted to change his life,” said Tedford. “At one time, he wanted to be a head coach and he thought being a coordinator would be a stepping stone, but I think he’s decided he wants to spend more time with his family.
“And to be honest, I think the criticism he got last year might have played into it.”
  (#2) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

04-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Still not buying it.
  (#3) Old
Mike Zillion

04-13-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranadaHillsBear View Post
Still not buying it.
+1 In fact, the more Tedford insists that Gregory wasn't pushed, the more I'm convinced that he was. Not without some significant pushing by big-time boosters though.

BTW, the defensive backfield was the same in 2008 and 2009, so that excuse doesn't fly.
  (#4) Old
CalGreg

04-13-2010, 08:42 PM

With comments like that, Coach Tedford is only going to encourage me

~Greg
  (#5) Old
Publisher, Bear Insider

04-13-2010, 08:44 PM

I can't publish any details, but he was pushed out.
  (#6) Old
Loyal Bear

04-13-2010, 08:45 PM

Say what you want about Glenn Dickey but he has the ability to get good stuff from Tedford. Few journalists get sit-down office interviews with JT but Dickey is one of them.
  (#7) Old
Loyal Bear

04-13-2010, 08:48 PM

yeah - with last years defensive results, he earned another year... RIGHT....
  (#8) Old
Loyal Bear

04-13-2010, 08:49 PM

Wow! Watch out, GreyBear! You might be banned from Memorial Stadium with that statement... But, thanks for the Insider honesty.
  (#9) Old
Real Bear

04-13-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyBear View Post
Greybear, I absolutely believe you.

However, if true, it means that JT is both not being honest and AND trying to use the situation as a means to discourage future criticism of the staff. That is sad.
  (#10) Old
Loyal Bear

04-13-2010, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the candor. This is why this site is so valuable to many of us.
  (#11) Old
Loyal Bear

04-13-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyBear View Post
Why can't you publish any details? What do you know that Dickey doesn't, why would JT lie to Dickey, and how come you feel the need to give "deep cover" insinuations (ie. allegations made without sources or details) regarding a matter in which JT has made a quoted statement? You are essentially calling either him or Dickey a liar.

Inquiring minds want to know.
  (#12) Old
Mike Zillion

04-13-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGoggles View Post
Greybear, I absolutely believe you.

However, if true, it means that JT is both not being honest and AND trying to use the situation as a means to discourage future criticism of the staff. That is sad.
And that, my friends, is why the criticism is needed.

How hard have Tedford and Gregory been pushing that story line all year? How often have some of us told you it was BS, yet you refused to believe.

This is why Tedford's tenure needs to be looked at with a critical eye. Because as much as so many of you want to just presume that everything he says is always the truth, it isn't.
  (#13) Old
Mike Zillion

04-13-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gobears View Post
Why can't you publish any details? What do you know that Dickey doesn't, why would JT lie to Dickey, and how come you feel the need to give "deep cover" insinuations (ie. allegations made without sources or details) regarding a matter in which JT has made a quoted statement? You are essentially calling either him or Dickey a liar.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Dickey's not a liar, he'll just not real concerned with accuracy or truth in his stories. As for Tedford lying about this, yeah he is. Don't know why it matters to him - plenty of coaches have been fired in football before. But for some reason, it has been important for Tedford and Gregory to continue this charade when anyone with half a brain knows that defensive coordinators don't take assistant jobs unless they have no better options. Which, by the way, is also true of our new defensive coordinator (at least at the NFL level).
  (#14) Old
Real Bear

04-13-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zillion View Post
Dickey's not a liar, he'll just not real concerned with accuracy or truth in his stories. As for Tedford lying about this, yeah he is. Don't know why it matters to him - plenty of coaches have been fired in football before. But for some reason, it has been important for Tedford and Gregory to continue this charade when anyone with half a brain knows that defensive coordinators don't take assistant jobs unless they have no better options. Which, by the way, is also true of our new defensive coordinator (at least at the NFL level).
I have no problem with Tedford "taking the high road" and saying Gregory wasn't fired, even if that is not true. That happens all the time - both in and outside of the football world.

I have a huge problem with JT saying Gregory left because of fan criticism, when JT knows that is not true. That statement is designed to suggest that the critcism was not warranted (it was IMO) and to make people - including sportwriters - think twice before criticizing in the future. It is particularly cynical of JT to do that and, for the first time in my mind, calls into question his integrity.

Last edited by BearGoggles; 04-13-2010 at 09:58 PM.
  (#15) Old
Loyal Bear

04-13-2010, 09:59 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it against the Law for a former employer to say anything bad in the subjective realm about a former employee? Is Tedford just covering his arse and the Cal's on this one? Where are the lawyers to help me on this?