Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Men's Basketball
Reload this Page Montgomery Assesses Trip, by Faraudo
Notices

(#1) Old
Loyal Bear

Montgomery Assesses Trip, by Faraudo - 08-26-2011, 07:25 PM

Basketball: Montgomery assesses Euro trip

By Jeff Faraudo
Friday, August 26th, 2011 at 1:42 pm in Basketball, European trip.

Mike Montgomery’s initial reaction to the Golden Bears’ recently completed tour of Scandanavia?

“It was expensive,” he said. “Oslo’s really expensive. No. 1 in the world.”

Try $11 for a water at a sports bar. Or $40 for a hamburger.

Otherwise, Montgomery and his staff learned some things about their team, even while injuries prevented them from using every player and every combination.

Jorge Gutierrez played just two of the five games because of an ankle sprain, Harper Kamp was severely limited by what Monty called “a balky knee.” Richard Solomon missed the final game after being scratched in the eye. Alex Rossi and Emerson Murray still aren’t 100 percent after dealing with abdominal and foot issues, respectively.

And Bak Bak did not make the trip, having just gotten back into the U.S. after a long summer spent in Kenya trying to work out passport issues.

As a result, other players — especially newcomers or those who hadn’t gotten much opportunity in the past — got plenty of playing time.

“We had to play ‘em,” Montgomery said. “You don’t want to just go out there and not perform. There were some stretches where lineups we had weren’t functioning together. That doesn’t help you much.”

But there were some encouraging signs, starting with the play of junior walk-on center Robert Thurman, who was the club’s top scorer in a couple games.

“He had a good trip. He was a factor around the basket,” Montgomery said. “He rebounded the ball and there were times when he was really our only guy who could score inside, and he responded very well.

“The teams we played were not big and physical. Most of them wanted to play five out. But he just was a factor. He’s improved quite a bit.”

Freshmen forwards David Kravish and Christian Behrens also saw substantial playing time and in the final two games, victories over the Norwegian national team, were on the floor together in crunch time.

“Kravish and Behrens were in the last eight minutes of those games and they did very, very well,” Monty said.

More on Kravish: “Kravish played well. He is smart, he just needs to get stronger. He knows how to play, he’s generally in the right place. He doesn’t jump above people, necesaarily, but when he does shoot it it goes in. He just has a knack. It’s sort of what we expected.”

More on Behrens: “He struggled early, but he has some things about him we didn’t know. All of a sudden he just started to relax and started to play. He has a nose for the ball, he gets to the ball. And he finished. He doesn’t have to get to a certain shoulder (to score inside), he just reacted.”

Sophomore transfer guard Justin Cobbs also got his first game action with the Bears after practicing but sitting out last season. Montgomery started him at shooting guard several games, but also at point instead of Brandon Smith one game.
“He did some very good things,” Montgomery said. “There were some times when he didn’t really know what he wanted to do. He has the ability to jump up and shoot over people. He’s got potential to be very good.”

Montgomery is anxious for his team to get healthy. He won’t know if the Bears’ depth is dramatically better than a year ago until everyone is playing and showing what they can do.

“It doesn’t help to have a bunch of guys who can do some things. It’s better to have guys who can do what you need to do to win,” he said. “We have more possibilities of guys that can step up.”

Montgomery senses the trip paid other dividends, too.

“I think they really got to know each other, hanging out with each other, laughing and giggling,” he said. “I think they really enjoyed that part of it.”
  (#2) Old
Loyal Bear

08-26-2011, 09:41 PM

Fyi, copying complete articles is a no no on this site..you can paraphrase and link, as well as take quotes. thanks for the info though.
  (#3) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

08-26-2011, 11:42 PM

Hmm, these Euros were playing 5 out. I guess we may have to reassess the Thurman Bobble Head night promotion.
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

08-27-2011, 12:26 AM

Word on the street is Thurman was saving his inner Jamal Boykins for Pac12 play.
  (#5) Old
Real Bear

08-27-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
Hmm, these Euros were playing 5 out. I guess we may have to reassess the Thurman Bobble Head night promotion.
Isn't it obvious? They were playing 5 out because all 5 were afraid of the Thurmanator.

(#6) Old
Loyal Bear

Yepper, true that. Followup issue.. - 08-27-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinotStateBeav View Post
Fyi, copying complete articles is a no no on this site..you can paraphrase and link, as well as take quotes. thanks for the info though.
I've been known to cut and paste to Cybears some Calbears articles, in their entirety, thinking CalBears would want the information spread about as widely as possible, instead of lawyering up.

Not necessarily from you MSB, but hopefully the thread will attract others with advice whether I'm off base 'borrowing' stuff from these athletics / SID handouts.

#GoBears!

Wonderflonium: Do NOT Bounce.

Last edited by SiniCal; 08-27-2011 at 07:07 AM.
  (#7) Old
Loyal Bear

Got It - 08-27-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinotStateBeav View Post
Thanks for informing me. I shall refrain in the future.
  (#8) Old
Loyal Bear

08-27-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R90 View Post
Isn't it obvious? They were playing 5 out because all 5 were afraid of the Thurmanator.

(#9) Old
Loyal Bear

The Thurmanator... - 08-27-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R90 View Post
I like that..."the Thurmanator".

"Man vs Food @ Thurman's in Columbus, OH."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cantoiv/3626128128/

"The THURMANATOR
Bottom bun, mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickle, banana peppers, 12 ounce burger, bacon, cheddar, another 12 oz burger, sautéed mushrooms & onions, ham, mozzarella & American cheese, top bun served with fries $16.49_"

"I cannot be certain of the answer in that regard." -PdS __

Last edited by oskihasahearton; 08-27-2011 at 01:18 PM.
  (#10) Old
Loyal Bear

What Is Monty Thinking? - 08-28-2011, 08:38 PM

In re-reading this interview article, it looks to me that Monty is at least cautiously optimistic that he will have more parts to work with this year--i.e., greater depth, for which many are rightfully hoping.

Monty the conductor is more aware than probably anyone that it is going to take some time for him to get his orchestra humming, what with 2 totally new guys--Kravish and Behrens--and 2 guys who have not yet played in a real game for Cal--Cobbs and Rossi.

And particularly in the college game, where the players are physically (and mentally) growing, a coach has a significantly different mix, even with all the returners.