Chat Room
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > The Public Place where "CyberBears" Growl > Women's Basketball
Reload this Page 2013 Rcruiting. Who's Out There?
Notices

(#1) Old
Real Bear

2013 Recruiting. Who's Out There? - 03-23-2012, 11:11 PM

I posted this in another thread, but I think it's time to look forward to the recruiting season, so here goes.

As you know we will have 11 spots open for 2013 and 2014. I hope Lindsay will use them all and bring in some (2 or 3) 3 star players whyo have the potential to be those outside guns we need. They often do not stand out in high school like the superior athletes, but they are a need Cal has ignored for far too long. Wshould use 4 to 6 spots for 2013. 7 is the limit (really too big a class). Remember we have Mikayla Cowlings already on board for 2014 with Moore and Green in the area. Hence the lower list of guards with shots.

2013 Dreams:

Mercedes Russell (She must have noticed Cal by now)
Kailee Johnson (more Oregon)
Jordan Reynolds (even more Oregon)
Chidom, Waters and/or Brown (1 or 2 depending on who else we get from up North)
Kelsey Plum (La Jolla Country Day)

This next list is all guards, all good shooters by rep, all California. Each needs to be seen and evaluated. One or two of those sleeper guns may be on this list:

Unique Coleman (St.Marys, Stockton)
Courtney Jaco (The Windward School))
Avonna Lee (Pleasant Valley H.S.)
Taylor McGuire (Buena H.S.)
Keyla Morgan (Long Beach Poly)
Briana Roberson (Troy H.S.)
Karlie Samuelson (Edison H.S.) Big sis is at Stanford. If 3 point shooting runs in the fam...
Kalyn Simon (Mitty) Scout the whole team

From time to time, I am going to add a player or two to this list. These are those players I didn't catch and/or didn't know about the first time around:

Peyton Langston (Peninsula H.S.) Tall, hard-working 2 and maybe 3(wing)
Chrishae Rowe (Santiago H.S.) Combo guard, gtood, diverse skill set

Last edited by dfineguy; 04-27-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: bad spelling
  (#2) Old
Golden Bear

03-24-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfineguy View Post
Kelsey Plum (La Jolla Country Day)
wow she was unbelievable yesterday against Salesian. What a stroke from the outside but was terrific going to the hoop too. Smart passer and CAN shoot her Free throws too!
  (#3) Old
Real Bear

03-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
As you know we will have 11 spots open for 2013 and 2014. I hope Lindsay will use them all
IMHO it's hard to give significant playing time to more than about 10 players, so if we fill our roster to 15 then more than a few players might be unhappy. I believe it's better to recruit quality over quantity, unless you have no choice.

I'm also concerned with class balance - filling the roster with 2013s and 2014s could leave little space for younger players.
  (#4) Old
Real Bear

03-24-2012, 11:33 AM

Stu, that's true if you bring in 15 4 and 5-star players. Then some will be unhappy and transfer. In this day and age that may be an inevitability anyway. We have followed the philosophy of not recruiting players who are not big time high school stars. And we can't shoot 3's and we can't make free throws. Stanford plays with a full roster. Some don't get much playing time, but they get a good education as they will at Cal. But, with intelligent recruiting, we will find a gem or two in this group. A couple of years ago Stanford picked up a somewhat unknown recruit from the midwest. Some Stanford fans said why pick her, she's not a top player.

Her name was Toni Kokenis. See what I'm sayin'.
  (#5) Old
Active Bear

Water polo has recruited lots of players for years - 03-24-2012, 02:25 PM

For decades opposing coaches have said they would love to have the talent on Cal's second team in water polo. Players play to compete. Coaches cannot refrain from recruiting because new talent might hurt existing talent's feelings. In the men's game, look at Kentucky, Duke. Recruit and let the players decide.
  (#6) Old
Real Bear

03-24-2012, 11:34 PM

Yes DFG, I see your point. We certainly have room for a few more players who want a Cal education and would be OK with not playing much until they develop. However I'd still like to keep a couple of scholarships free for unanticipated opportunities.

I think one key is scouting, which is far from an exact science. Mike Montgomery has uncovered more than his share of unheralded gems for the men's team, but Joanne Boyle's teams always seemed to depend on the 4 and 5 star recruits.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure free throw shooting can be coached. I'm not willing to blame our woes in that department on recruiting the wrong players.

I suspect 3-point shooting is more complicated. We have one McDonald's AA and one somewhat under-the-radar recruit who were reputed to be deadly outside shooters. I expect their diminished accuracy at Cal could be attributed to other factors, like a lack of plays designed to get them good shots. I also believe both will be more effective when they develop the additional dimension of driving around defenders.
  (#7) Old
Real Bear

03-25-2012, 12:18 PM

Which they may never do, Stu. I too like to have a couple os spares. That's why I said 4-6 picks for 2013. You never know Ms. Stafford could reopen her recruitment. Be nice to have her as the only 2012 on the roster, but lightening is not likely to strike 2 years in a row. But her aunt was a star at Cal, so who knows?

2 stories about players from my list opening this thread:

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls...kendall-waters

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls...36/kelsey-plum

Last edited by dfineguy; 03-26-2012 at 12:28 AM.
  (#8) Old
Active Bear

03-25-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Stu, that's true if you bring in 15 4 and 5-star players. Then some will be unhappy and transfer. In this day and age that may be an inevitability anyway. We have followed the philosophy of not recruiting players who are not big time high school stars. And we can't shoot 3's and we can't make free throws. Stanford plays with a full roster. Some don't get much playing time, but they get a good education as they will at Cal. But, with intelligent recruiting, we will find a gem or two in this group. A couple of years ago Stanford picked up a somewhat unknown recruit from the midwest. Some Stanford fans said why pick her, she's not a top player.

Her name was Toni Kokenis. See what I'm sayin'.
Yes- Stanford has a VERY Great scouting team (?) to find all these overlooked players who end up being key players- they ALWAYS seem to end up with these people who can shoot well- either three-pointers and or free throws. And also recruit alot of big tall (more often than not Caucasian) players- besides getting top players such as Wiggins, Appel, Pedersen, Pohlen, the Ogumikes, Beeby, etc. Why are they able to scout and find these players across the country and we can't?
  (#9) Old
True Blue Golden Bear

03-25-2012, 09:24 PM

3Cats4Cal, many of the "gems" you mentioned were nationally-ranked recruits so the 'furd had no difficulty "finding" them. As national recruits, say top 200 in the country, the cardinal won recruiting battles with the likes of Tennessee, Duke, Texas, etal, to snag them for the farm. The key to the 'furd's recruiting is it's really national in scope, and Tara's rep, the institution's stellar academic reputation, as well as the 'furds' consistent top national team ranking, is a powerful combination to recruit against. Cal is on a different plane, when it comes to recruiting. However, the performance of Cal's WBB team in the NCAA tourney gave them some excellent visibility and media recognition, which should help their ranking and recruiting for next year.
  (#10) Old
Real Bear

03-26-2012, 08:39 AM

The question is what type of player does Cal need to recruit to help the team among the 2013 prospects. It would appear that Kelsey Plum would be a good replacement for Layshia. Both are 5-9 combo guards, and with Plum being a good shooter, it would be doubly helpful.
I would like to get the BOD duo of Waters and Chidom. You need to get the
local talent to stay home. These two would take care of front line needs. My main concern about these two are the lack of a more complete arsenal on offense, especially Chidom.
My other player that would be a great get is Courtney Range, who has a great all around game and is the type of player who can help you get deep into the NCAA tournament.
The next player could be a role player like Samuelson, someone who has a high BB IQ and can shoot or someone with similar ability
  (#11) Old
Real Bear

03-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Would Kelsey Plum be able to play backup point guard as a freshman? Eliza will be gone, we don't know if Avigiel will be healthy, and backup point is a critical position. Consider what happened to the men when they had problems at that position after Brandon Smith's concussion.

Besides that, I believe we need at least one quick guard in addition to Brittany.
  (#12) Old
Loyal Bear

I think Kelsey would start - 03-26-2012, 10:28 AM

but could probably play point too. Sort of like it is now. Remember Clarendon plays some point now so we have 3 guards who can play point. I actually like multiple ballhandlers.

I think you will need another guard who would be that point guard. Right now i don't see them in the 2013 class from Northern Cal though Jemerigbe might change my mind.
  (#13) Old
Real Bear

03-30-2012, 09:22 AM

Let's not limit our focus to NorCal players. We got some national exposure in the Notre Dame game. We can now widen our recruiting. Maybe not like Stanford, but we showed this year our new staff has what it takes to move the program forward.

Also, it is beginning to look like Karen Aston will be the new Texas coach. IMHO, if Imani Stafford decides to reopen her recruiting, we should take a long hard look at her. Don't assume USC and don't believe all that was written in the SoCal press after she committed to Texas. Could be a little sour grapes. I'll say it again. Her aunt was a star here. She will bring blocking power to the post with her height and wingspan. The staff will know if she can be a player in our program. How good a shooter is Amanda Moore, the LMU decommit?

Last edited by dfineguy; 03-30-2012 at 09:36 AM.
  (#14) Old
Real Bear

04-02-2012, 08:12 AM

I wanted to add this from Elbert Kinnebrew, coach of the Cal Sparks.

I have a couple 2012 predictions for College Coaches #1 2013 5.11 G Mercedes Jefflo will be considered best Defending Guard in the West.
Prediction # 2. 2013 Combo Gd Sierra Thompson (Serra HS) will be the fastest rising player for scouting services in the 2013 Class in West

Thompson should have been on my list above, but Jefflo is new to me. Hopefully the staff already knows them well.
  (#15) Old
Real Bear

Russell from Oregon has her list - 04-06-2012, 10:47 PM

and USC is only Pac 12 school listed: http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.c...llege-choices/

Tennessee, Louisville, Kentucky, Notre Dame, Georgia, USC, Duke, North Carolina, LSU or Baylor